Replacing tires

Rookie Question:

Should a normal human being with bicycle tools be able to take the tires off of moped rims?

I've been trying to take the tires off of some old rims so I can replace some spokes for about an hour and haven't done anything by scratch up rim and hands up.

Do I need some special tools ro do I need to take it into a bike shope or somethin?

Re: Replacing tires

Old tires loose their flex. I have had a hell of a time getting tires from the 70's off. I have cut them off too. You can buy tire removal tools, but they do not work any better than a few screwdrivers.

I generally use 2 big flat bladed screwdrivers with furnace tape wrapped around the last 2 inches to keep from marring the rims. WARM UP the tires before removing or installing.

don-ohio

Cool, I'll keep tryin. Thanks for your help!

like Donp says, warm the tires up. Put them near the heater duct or in an area where it is warm for a couple hours before trying to take off. Be careful not to pinch the tubes when putting the spoon or flat blade screw driver in. I prefer to use tire spoons, they are made for taking a tire off, usually longer and widder. I use armourall and spray it around both sides of the tire. Before spooning the tire off make sure both beads are off the sealing edge of the rim. In other words compress/push down the tire until it comes loose from the sealing surface. Once that is done then put your spoons in and start working around the tire. Patience and don't try to lever off too much tire at once. Hope this helps. Wardie

don-ohio recommended warming up the tires

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Use a C-clamp to compress(lightly) the tire on theopposite side from where you will be using the tire tool and make sure the tire is not sticking to the rim, top and bottom.jim

Yeah, me and DonP came from the same old school,like you,Paul. I DO hate scratching rims up though. I hope Phil puts new tubes in and his tires are not suspect. I also recommend wrapping any spoked wheel with a coupla wraps of furnace tape over the wheel liner for added spokehead/tube protection. Never had a problem yet doing that. Take care,Paul! Hope you're healing up and hope you're getting better all the time! don-ohio (:^)

thanks don-o. feeling a little better everyday.

See Ya Moped Army /

Before using the tire levers, squirt a little dish soap around the tire bead and those tires will slip right on everytime.

my moped's tires shrunk over the years. i ended up cutting it off. if your tires are really old and you have tried the methods above, just cut them off. the only drawback is that you will most likely cut the inner tube aswell.

GODDAMMIT!!!

There's a solid metal strip embeded in the bead of these fockers! I can't even cut them off! You can't take these things on or off yourself, you have to take them somewhere with a hydraulic tire press! Arrgh!

yes you can. if you plan on cutting them off, get yourself a pair of metal tin snips. they will cut through ther tire like butter.

Ahem...no, you can't. Tin snips will cut through the rubber easy but they won't cut through the thick metal band on the inside of the tire. I tried for about 20 minutes last night and only succeeded in scratching the rims up more and dulling my snips(and I'm not exactly mechanically retarded, either). My advice to others like me: These aren't bicycle tires. Take them to a shop for the couple of bucks they'll charge you to mount or remove them.

pat, i had to do this on two seperate occassions. it does work. moped tires are not that much stronger then bicycle tires.

I have found that dish soap dries to fast sometimes. Use white lithium grease or silicone spray. remove all the air from the tube and remove the valve, squeeze the tire to break it from both sides of the rim. remove the valve stem nut.Wipe the lubricant all around the rim on the side you are going to remove it from. Then I slide the valve out of the hole and slowly remove the tube. If it wont come out wait till you get one side of the tire off the rim. Get five good size screwdrivers.

Take one of the screwdrivers and pull up one side of the tire bead over the rim. Try not to grab the tube if still in the tire. Take a second screwdriver about three/four inches from the first and pull the tire bead up over the rim. Now again about three/four inches away do the same and then with the fourth by this time the tire should be loose enough to take the one side off the rim. Very seldom, but sometimes, you need five screwdrivers.

Take a pice of wood to slide around the rim to get the rest of the tire off if you have to, but do not slide the screwdrivers. Now take out the tube, if still in and repeat the process to take the other side of the tire off same side of the rim.

Do not try to take both sides off at the same time. If you really are having a problem it could be that the wrong size tire was put on the rim. If you really want to cut it then try using wire cutters to cut the metal bead use the tin snips to cut the rubber.

And yet...it still doesn't work.

Newer tires might be flimsier and easire to manage, but my feedback still stands.

I can't even get three screwdrivers in the tires, and I'd like to think I'm not a feebe. These tires are toast. I found this bike so I don't know nothin about the tires. They looked good but could be the wrong size or just as old as the bike(17 years).

Thanks.

New tires and tubes. Crap. Not that big of a deal but the closer my receipts get to $399, the more irritated I become...

"There’s a solid metal strip embeded in the bead of these fockers! I can’t even cut them off! You can’t take these things on or off yourself, you have to take them somewhere with a hydraulic tire press! Arrgh!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If those are wire wheels I'm not even sure a tire press will work on them.

The old one we had in the Jaguar garage wouldn't work on wote wheels.

Good Luck!!

See Ya Moped Army /

What about a Dremel with a cutting disk? That'll cut that band off.

Well the only other thing I can think of is, when you have two blades prying one side of the tire over the rim, make sure that the opposite side, 180 degrees from them, place that part of the tire in the center of the rim. This lets you get more tire bead at the top over the rim. The center of the rim is the smallest diameter of the rim and helps the tire come off. Have yo been doing that?

Phil, I've cut mine up with wire cutters and tin snips. But the dremel wheel would definitely work. don-ohio (:^)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account