what happened?

i was riding my 2000 targa lx to work today and it suddenly died it will not start up without the choke on aand when i take the choke off it runs for about 5 seconds and cuts back off. any suggestions?

Re: what happened?

Jason Luther /

out of gas?

Bobby Smith /

ive checked the obvious, o yeah i forgot to mention that the petcock was clogged so i cleaned it but even after that it runs a little better but not like it should it still lacks power. i also hve no gas cap on it because when i went to fill up my key broke so i had to break the cap off

Jason Luther /

did you have it parked at school or something where someone could have dumped sand or something in the tank?. pull the gas line off of the carb and see if it runs out, it should be a steady stream. try cleanign your carb too.

yeah. get a gas cap (obviously) and clean out the tank.

Bobby Smith /

no it was at my house and it was a locking cap so that didnt happen but its only 15 degrees out so i really didnt wanna be outside workin on it but i plan on doing a good overhauling as soon as it warms up and it was running perfect for about 5 mins then it started acting up

did any snow/rain or moisture get in the tank? thay would raise heck with the way the engine runs or ... don't run.

Jeff Strahle /

try a new plug, and definatley get another cap. without the cap the tank doesn't really have a vaccuum seal in it and the engine runs poorly. any engine without a gas cap will do this. it just doesn't give the fuel the pressure it needs

Bobby Smith /

now that i think about it i did hit a small snow bank around 5 mins b4 it acted up

Don Pflueger /

clean the carb.

Don Pflueger /

clean the carb and get a gas cap.

Don Pflueger /

if your bike is sitting outside with no gas cap, you probably have water in the gas. drain the tank, clean the carb, and get a gas cap.

Don Pflueger /

the tanks are gravity feed. there is no pressure build up in them as the gas caps have a vent. and you definetly dont want vacuum. that would stop fuel flow altogether.

Bobby Smith /

carb is clean and it acted up before i broke the cap off

you dont' want a vacuum in the gas tank if it does not have that setup. the tomos mopeds are gravity fed. if you have a vacuum, your in trouble, be sure to get a vented gas cap.

You ran into a snow bank before it happened. Check all the obvious Are you getting all three things air, fuel and spark. Maybe it is not the gas, may have shorted something. May have knocked a wire off somewhere. Burnt a light due to the cold snow on hot surface. check it over how about the kill switch. good luck

And a vacuum would collapse the tank!

Don Pflueger /

one thing i didnt think about is.....

if you ran into a snow bank, and then this happened, you may have water in the plug boot since it is down low and would have gotten buried in the snow. plus the fact that it is located right behind the front wheel leaves it open to water.

Don Pflueger /

i doubt it would ever get that high.

Bobby Smith /

what should i do to fix it tear it apart and clean the cylander or just let it evqaporate?

Don Pflueger /

drain it and flush it out.

obviously fuel starvation, or seizure.

-petcock off, or not res.

-blockage in carbuerator jet.

-seizure due to overheat, (air leak, insufficient lube)

tighten intake manifold-to-cylinder bolts , carb to manifold bolts.

Remove carb, clean jet.

Check oil pump, for blockage, or air bubble.

Bobby Smith /

ive checked the obvious as ive said before and it didnt overheat because its mixed 40:1 as it always has been plus it was only 15 degrees out

".. will not start up without the choke on aand when i take the choke off it runs for about 5 seconds and cuts back off..."

That exact same symptom happened to me about a month ago. When i took the (clean) carb off and looked in the bottom of the float bowl, there was a tiny flake of crap floating around in there.

When the bike started, this piece of junk immediately got sucked up against the main jet hole and cut off most fuel. Applying the choke restricted air so air/fuel mixture was better. The engine coughed and choked.. but it ran a little bit at 3 MPH. If i opened the choke the engine just died from running way too lean.

Bobby Smith /

but as i have said many times now in the past i have checked the obvious eg, petcock(was clogged but not anymore) float bowl and jet it came from nowhere the only thing i havent checked is what donp said might be the problem

it looks like donp said clean the carb, flush the fuel system.. and something about wet ignition components.

Try spraying Starter Fluid into the carb.. if it gives you a healthy VRROOOMmm... ignition is ok.

Don Pflueger /

yep i said to check the plug boot. but i really dont think thats the problem. if it will run on choke for any length of time, but dies when the choke is opened, it has a fuel restriction in the carb. either the main jet is plugged up, or the emulsion tube, or there is water in the carb. if it will run on choke, then fuel IS getting to the carb bowl, its just NOT traveling up the emusion tube. tear the carb back down and poke wire thru every hole you can find in the carb body and its parts. then follow up with shots of carb cleaner. also check the intake mounting screws around the reed cage. the 4 screws are known to vibrate loose. before bolting the carb back on, flush the tank. water always goes to the lowest point in a fuel system. and the lowest point on a tomos is the carb bowl. all it takes is a drop to mess things up.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account