Tomos moped slow shifting

I have a Tomos Targa and it runs great. The only problem I have been having is that the first gear seems to take forever to shift to the second. It always shifts smoothly, it just drags out the first gear longer than it should. I have tried adding type-F transmission fluid and the shifting situation is the same. Does any one know if my transmission is just like that or if its a lost cause?

Re: Tomos moped slow shifting

Don Pflueger /

make sure that your fluid is not over filled or under filled and that you are using only one type of fluid and have not mixed two different types. i use type a suffix a which is highly recommended by the factory. type f is a little more abrasive which may slow the shifting down a little.

Yeah, it's called Type FA. drain what's in there out, pour alittle of the new in after it drains...to flush it alittle...let that drain. put the drain bolt back in and fill the fill hole with a squeeze bottle full of the FA. when it starts coming back out at you let that drain (with the bike on level ground) then put the fill screw back in.

Don Pflueger /

i dont think ive ever heard of type fa.

type A suufix A is what tomos recommends or type F.

the screw on the side is the level hole. th fill hole is on the top. i would just fill it thru the top hole until it starts to drip out of the side hole with the bike sitting level. but ive seen it done both ways.

I have herd of type FA. Valvoline carries it. I don't know the difference though.

it is your clutch. My tomos A-8 Had the same problem. I just got another motor and it solved the problem. Or replace the clutch

In a TOMOS moped shifting is a function of power. If your bike is slow shifting into 2nd, you have a power issue.

Have the bike serviced, compression check etc. This will certainly improve the shifting.

Don Pflueger /

shifting on a tomos is controlled by rpm not power. the clutches are centrifugal type clutches controlled by spring tension which is affected by rpm. having too little tranny fluid will cause slow shifting as there is less lubrication. having too much tranny fluid will cause slow shifting due to the clutches not being able to move thru the fluid. kinda like trying to run thru a swimming pool. fluid level on a tomos is real critical.

also, the slow shifting may be caused if the bike is cold, or hasn't been ran for a good 5-10 minutes. My new SM does it for about 5mins after starting it when it's cold outside.

So its type FA that you want, and were can you get it, i usually can only find deoxy 3 and type f? Is type f bad on it?

Don Pflueger /

no. you want type A suffix A, or type F. not FA.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account