Streetmate fuse

I just bought my streetmate, but after a night of riding, I realized that the fuse was blown. I went and bought a new fuse and put it in, but after 10 minutes of riding it, I checked and the fuse was blown again. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Re: Streetmate fuse

Fuses are able carry more current than anything else on that circuit. If it blows it's because the fuse is somehow being directly connected to a _very_ high current. (It blows, shuts off current and prevents some expensive component farther down the line from getting toasted)

The most likely reason is a hot wire somewhere is grounded to the frame.. this wire could be pinched under a bolt or it could have some of it's insulation torn off or similar. If you did any assembly to that (new?) bike, double check everything you did.

An unlikely reason for a blown fuse is you installed something that draws way too much current, like maybe a 300 watt headlamp.

Are you using the correct fuse.. like 10 amp or 15 amp or whatever rating is specified?

Jeff Strahle /

your voltage regulator could be bad too. my friend had the same problem and when he replaced the voltage reg. it was fine

Adam Campbell /

i didnt do any assembly on the bike, and havent installed anything. (I got it yesterday). I am using a 7.5 amp ffuse because that is what was in there when I go it.

Adam Campbell /

do you think there is any quick fix, or should I just take it to the shop?

First check the owner's manual for the correct fuse. If 7.5 amps is what it calls for then maybe have someone look at it.. tell them what Jeff said..

Adam Campbell /

In the owners manual it says 8A, would half an amp actually make a difference?

I put my streetmate together myself and it had 3 bad wires under the left side cover. One of them was grounded out behind the voltage regulator or coil. I fixed this wire before I started the bike so I do not know what it would do as far as blowing the fuse but I think it would have.

As far as your fuse 7.5 or 8 amp would not make any difference.

It's under wearranty,right? Let the dealer take care of it! don-ohio

my fuse was blown about a day after getting my streetmate. the fuse it came with however was also really crappy, I replaced it with a motorcycle 7.5 amp from canadian tire and havent had a problem since.

of course youve prob already fixed your problem by now.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account