sucked/broken reed = bad

While I was riding my Puch w/ the Athena 70cc Reed valve to work this morning my moped stalled and made some terrible pinging noises. After testing the compression I had 175lbs, that's good. After removing the intake I found I was missing a reed, that's real bad.

My piston and cylinder are fine, but now I have to drop the whole motor and crack it open to find the metal inside, and I fear what I may find. Hopefully it didn't grind up the gears. And I'm just posting because this totally sucks.

Re: sucked/broken reed = bad

Don Pflueger /

all it would do is fall into the crankcase which is sealed off from the transmission. you wont need to split the engine cases, just pull the cylinder off and fish the reed out. hopefully it didnt damage the piston skirts or the crankshaft. but it sounds like you may be ok cuz the engine turns over freely. just pull the cylinder off and fish it out.

sucked/broken reed = bad

It was brand new. Was it defective?

did a petal crack or did the screws come loose?

I guess you're right. I have the cylinder off already, and the that's fine. I hope it turns out to be as easy as you say, and not a million little pieces.

I don't know. It looks like it just snapped off right above the screw. Getting ahold of new reeds will most likely be difficult.

The petal cracked.

50cc.nl has a ton of reeds. I don't know if any will fit your kit though....

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

I thought the actual reed was made of fiberglass or carbon fiber. Would this hurt anything in the crankcase? If it went into the cylinder, wouldn't it burn and go out the exhaust port? Help me understand.jim

Don Pflueger /

some of them are carbon fiber. but thats pretty much only on racing engines, but i dont know what that kit uses as ive never worked with an athena kit. and if it was carbon fiber, it could still score the cylinder somewhat if it ges forced between the piston and cylinder wall.

The Athena kit uses thin metal for reeds.

Don Pflueger /

thats what i figured. carbo fiber reeds are very expensive.

If you can't find new petals and want to try making your own, there's a couple links on the net in reference to home built jet engines.. or search it in Performance under my nick to see what i did.. When i opened up my reed block I made new larger petals from stainless steel shim stock and the damn things work fine... been running them for months. So far so good.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

The web is full of info on reed valves, more than I want to know but everything points to them increasing performance.jim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account