throttle keeps freezing

Hello,

Something in my twist throttle keeps freezing in the cold making it impossible to go anywhere. If I quickly heat up the lever with a hair drier it works until I start riding and then the whole thing freezes again. Unfortunately it seems to do this when the throttle is open so all I can do is turn the key off to stop.

What do you guys do to keep moisture out of there? Is there a "sealed" throttle I can buy?

Re: throttle keeps freezing

How old is you bike? It's probably just worn. Mine works much better with a new one.

It is only 3 months old. The problem isn't really the lever, it's the water that splashes up in there and then freezes over night. In the morning when I go to class it is frozen through and the only way to get it working like normal is to bring it inside for long enough for the water to evaporate. BTW its 5 degrees out right now.

James Foster /

My advice would be to put a tarp or cover over the front of the bike to maybe keep some of it from freezing too much overnight. Also put some WD-40 (or the like) inside the throttle grip area, just to make sure moisture doesn't stay on the grip. WD-40 displaces moisture, therefore it might make it less likely to freeze up. Although, since I live in Texas, I don't know what 5 degree weather does to mopeds, so you might have to improvise a bit.

Hope this helps,

JF

Hi, or just tie a small plastic bag over the throttle. You may be able to keep it on there while you are riding in bad weather to keep the water out.

You have what is called "moped cruise control." You are one of the few with that luxury. lol. I'd try to get it unfrozen, the use WD-40 on the cable and the twist part. It'll keep out the moisture, and lubricate the whole assy.

Thanks for the ideas. Yeah I do cover it up every night, but it rained when I went to class yesterday so water got in the throttle. When the temperature droppped overnight my moped was covered, but the water inside the throttle froze.

I'm thinking of fabricating a loop from a plastic bag and keeping it down with 2 rubber bands (one on the throttle, one on the handlebar). I hope this works. I'm also trying to figure out a way to keep water off the throttle body on the carb (maybe more plastic bags).

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account