spark plug gapping

How do I know if my spark plug is gapped correctly? Should I assume that it comes from the factory with the correct gap? What happens if the gap is too large/small?

Re: spark plug gapping

_How do I know if my spark plug is gapped correctly?_

Measure it with a feeler guage.

_Should I assume that it comes from the factory with the

correct gap? _

No.

_What happens if the gap is too large/small?_

In either case, the engine will not run well.

There are articles all over the place on spark plug maladies, so I don't want to re-invent the wheel here.

Don Pflueger /

use a feeler gauge or a spark plug gap tool. never trust the gap from the factory. the box may have fallen and changed the gap.

Peter Chudzik /

Well I know how I would measure it, but how do I find out what the actual gap is supposed to be? Is it on the box?

Leon Swarmer /

Not one the box, it could be used for many appplications.

Owners manual should tell you.

try this.. Cyberian posted this link a while ago.

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=9

one listing for Indian .. 0.30 inch

I just bought a set of 8 plugs for a car and they were all gapped wrong. Without getting into technical reasons, proper gap is important.

Peter Chudzik /

I have an NGK plug but it is identical to the champion plug it would otherwise take, is there any reason that the gap for the NGK would be different than that of the champion version?

some are compatable, but you need to find out through your manual, or maybe someone with the same moped what your gap needs to be.

what are you riding??? maybe someone could help you that way.

well.. some people say different plug brands work better or worse than others in some applications.. perhaps gapping different brands differently would have an effect, but that's kinda overkill since you don't plan on racing that moped at Daytona .. or do you?

Plugs do have certain specifications that plug manufacturers follow to allow cross-referencing plugs. Deciding on the proper plug gap is is the job of the engine's designers, not the spark plug company.

Don Pflueger /

look in the spark plug book.

Don Pflueger /

it may have a different resistance rating.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account