Piston Clips!

Michael Romano /

I managed to drop my piston clip in to my transmission.... What the hell do i do? I have turned the pedals backwards and well there is no drag or sound of metal on Metal! Its a Tomos Targa Lx..

Michael~

Re: Piston Clips!

you gotta find it and fish it out of there.. Clips that somehow manage to find their way into the crankcase destroy engines real quick.

Yep, thats really bad. It will tear shit all up if it stays in there! Even if it means you have to split the case, do it! Try to get like one of those extendable magnet things that look like a screwdirver, try that. I dunno. Good luck!

Better yet, try like a shop-vac, or something like that, maybe. Just came to mind after pressing the submit, on my last post.

See Ya Moped Army /

When you say it's in the transmission, is it in your clutch cover or inside the crankcase? If it's in the crankcase, try fishing a magnetic pickup wire in there. Short of that, the engine may need to come off and shake it out.

freakiin magnet will stick to everything.. and i don't like compressed air or water or a vacuum to blow or suck it out because you need to KNOW you found it.

mopedlar.. I saw the word "Transmission" too... but i'm thinking no way in hell did a circlip end up in the transmission.. i figured Michael is in a state of shock and just misspoke ;)

Short search on the net reveals no super-secret tricks for getting it out.. I'd try a thin wire and try to accidentally find and move it into a position where i could at least see it.

See Ya Moped Army /

I had a piston clip go flying off on me once and it somehow landed in the crankcase. I had no idea that it flew in there and just assumed that it was on my garage floor some where. I installed a new clip and after riding my bike for around a minute, the bike came to a griding and screeching halt. I took apart the top end and found that the clip had lodged itself between the piston and the cylinder wall. It chewed up the top of the piston and made a giant gouge in the cylinder.

You must get it out of there. Do not start that bike until it is removed.

man.. that really sucks.

btw.. For anyone who's following this thread and who's curious about prevention, the thing to do is to stuff a clean rag into and around the connection rod and crankcase opening whenever the cylinder is removed.

Michael Romano /

Well... The clip managed to fall in to the area behind the piston which is i guess the crank case... And i definatly had no plans what so ever of starting the bike until i found it.... I Will try a few of the methods described tomorrow... Now if i used a high powered water jet that could tear something up right!!. Where could the clip go past the crank... it couldnt manage to end up ne where in the clutch? I though about me and a couple of friends just tipping the bike upside down and turn the pedal a few times to see if i could make it fall out! Well ill keep you posted! Thank For all the help!

Michael~

cool, thanks Joe. I always have my motor apart, for one thing or another. I usually just try to be really careful.

Don Pflueger /

first- its not in your transmission. its in your crankcase.

second- you seriously need to get it out of there otherwise the clip will get jammed between the crank and the engine case and destroy everything.

usr a long magnet, or magnetize a screwdriver to get it out. if that dont work, pull the engine off and turn it upside down and shake it til the clip falls out. you wont need to disassmble anything.

If the magnet is to strong then sometimes a sticky substance on the end of an object will work, Something like tape or gum. These work if you can see the clip or know where it is lying in the case. Another thing I do is put tape around the side of the magnet to weaken its strength on the sides to eliminate some of the side pulls to the metal objects in there.

The crankcase is sealed. The up and down movement of the piston draws and pushed the air and fuel mixture back and forth between the cylinder and the crankcase during normal operation. anything in the crankcase, sooner or later, will eventually be drawn up into the ports and into the cylinder with the gases.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account