ignition without a key

I have a 1980 honda express that I know will run if I only I could switch the ignition into the "run" position. Without a key, is there any way I can do this? I tried using a screwdriver but it only rotates the whole assembly in its housing.

ignition without a key

You could bypass the ignition altogether (aka - hotwire it) just to make sure before you start tearing locks apart or trying to get keys made.

Re: ignition without a key

My Honda ignition switch has 4 ignition wires. When the key turns, two wires make contact while two others disconnect.

Two wires are very much like the kill switch wires. They ground the coil and kill the engine. When you turn the ignition switch on, they disconnect allow the engine to run.

The other two (black and red on my bike) connect and disconnect the lights and accessories.

So, if the two wires to the kill function (probably Green and Black/White stripe) are disconnected while the Red and Black are connected, the bike should start and run.

You might also just remove the plastic rear section of the ignition switch body from the front key-section and then turn the back section with a screwdriver to the ON position.

Allen Murphy /

Or you could just post the code numbersthat are stamped on the lock, and some locksmith could make a key for the damn thing, even (HINT,HINT!)

Al Murphy

Is that possible for the handlebar lock as well? I see that there is a # on the lock, but I have no key.

Sometimes you need the original key to remove a tumbler on something like a steering lock. The key is inserted and then a wire is slipped into a little hole in the back. Then the key is turned farther than it normally would be turned and the tumbler unhooks and can be removed.

Sometimes you can remove a tumbler if you just have access to the back of it... same sort of thing with a wire or little tool in a hole in back.. and once it's unhooked the tumbler falls out. This was true on a Honda C70 i have.

Once you have a tumbler out a locksmith can make a new key.. although this is probably gonna be expensive since he'll hand cut the new key or change the pins to suit an old key. I really doubt any locksmith will have a catalog of 30 year old moped key codes but i wouldn't know for sure..

Allen Murphy /

First thing-I won't know if you don't post the numbers stamped on the lock, will I?

Second thing-as a rule locksmiths have codes for autos, motorcycles and mopeds going back well over 70+ years, and I know I do here!

I'm cutting a set of keys here for a '75 Honda cycle I just bought, so an old Honda moped isn't going to be a big problem.

Al Murphy

very cool, Al ;) I missed your 'hint' and had no idea we had a locksmith available.. and i'm happy to stand corrected about the codes.

Allen Murphy /

No problem, and you're welcome!

Al Murphy

can anyone please help i have lost the keys to my moped its a gilera and i need to know how to hotwire it if anyone could give me an excact walkthrough i would be very greatful as i have know idea how to do it thanks all jason

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account