Puch moped tranny

Hello, I just got into mopeds and ppurchased a 1978 Newport "L". It runs pretty good. I started to check it out when I got home. I noticed that the rear tire was spinning at idle so I adjusted the carb speed and slowed it down. I then noticed a clunking in the tranny which goes away when you give it power. It is not heard when the wheel does not spin and only when the clutch is just starting to grab. Checked the fluid and there was none. Filled it with ATF type "F" ran it and drained it. Filled it again and seems better except now it is slower coming ff the line. Question, what inside the tranny would causes the clunking?

Re: Puch moped tranny

James Foster /

It could be a number of things, especially since it didn't have any tranny fluid in it. I would suggest getting a puch service manual, get the tools you'll need, and opening up that crankcase. From there you should be able to tell if anything is excessively worn or loose. But, when you put it back together, make sure to have some high-temp RTV silicone sealant, and put a small even bead of the stuff around all of the edges of your crankcase. That, if done correctly, should make sure that oil doesn't leak out again.

Hope this helps,

JF

Tony Daniel /

Hi, Thanks for the info and the manual. By the looks of the diagrams it doesn't seem like there is to much inside there. the clunking sound must be from the clutch or a worn shim. Hope to find out this winter. The oil leak is from the drain plug, seems that the treads are becoming stripped.

James Foster /

The oil plug leak could be caused by the o-ring that seals it. As for the clutch, that could be a real possibility that it's warped or damaged. Does it "clunk" only when it's cold, or does it do it all the time?

JF

not much in there!?!?!

i think theres too much in there allready :-)

Ben Van Zoest /

You did not divulge the mileage!

Ben Van Zoest /

In idle the clutch dogs aren't really fully engaged by centrifical force, I found it not an issue to worry about...

Another reason in case of high mileage is a worn wrist pin bearing very noticeable with no-load.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account