just need input

Brandon Hardesty /

ok here is my moped problem. I have a 2002 Tomos Targa Lx moped and was riding down the road and then the moped just cut off like something got messed up in the transmission or electric area. I then checked the oil and it was empty so I'm thinking that the it was an engine runoff (I believe that's what it's called). The moped does have oil in it now and does start but does not stay on or idle unless given throttle. I would like repair done at the moment but only at a reasonable price. Also, I live in the Richmond, Virginia and would appreciate any feedback! Thanks

Re: just need input

you can probably adjust the idle screw on your carb...

Running a two stroke with out oil with seize it. You might have big problems if it ran with out oil for more than a couple miles

Don Pflueger /

if you ran it without tranny oil, you may have burned up the internal crank seal which is why it wont idle.

Brandon Hardesty /

yes I already do. There is only one dealer around here who works on Tomos mopeds and the people who work in the service dept. said that just to "look" at it, it would cost 300 or more which is rediculous of course since that is approaching what I paid for it used. My limit to repairing this moped is 300 total! Any suggestions?

Do some investigation on your own. Idle is messed up but it runs? What do the walls of the cylinder look like? Does the piston easily slide up and down in the cylinder. The cylinder and piston and rings are easily replacable.. but that's not where expensive damage will be.

Here's one little test to see if connecting rod / crankshaft bearings are fried. If they are, you may as well forget about repairing that engine.

Remove the head.

Use washers or spacers if needed and bolt the cylinder firmly back down against the engine case.

Turn the crankshaft (or flywheel) so the piston rises and travels just slightly beyond top dead center and begins to go back down..

Now pound once on the top of the piston with the heel of your hand. Use a soft, soundless hammer if you can't get your hand on it.

If you heard a "click" it indicates too much bearing clearance .. your bearings are likely badly worn. (Repeat the test as often as necessary)

This sort of damage might allow you to ride the bike but it could get real bad, real fast at anytime and the engine may lock up. The bike could panic-stop and you'd get no warning.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Buy a Kinetic for $399 to ride while you work on the other ped then sell the one you dislike.

Brandon Hardesty /

I"m not a moped expert so I'll have to look in the manual that came with it. thanks for the help!

Brandon Hardesty /

I"ll have to look in the manual because I"m not sure where the internal crank seal is located.

Brandon Hardesty /

I dont know how to work on a moped that's the problem and I'm not going to buy another moped just yet.

i understand.. have someone look at it.

After it is diagnosed and you know what needs to be done perhaps you could do it yourself. The more you know and can do yourself, the less this bike (and all other vehicles you will own) will cost you to maintain. You already learned one thing that applies to all engines.. they need constant lubrication.

Don Pflueger /

you wont find it in the owners manual. you'll need a service manual.

Brandon Hardesty /

Yes...I knew the oil/lubrication 8 years ago when I got my first car and license and along with two mopeds that were purchased before the car and license. I just dont know "a lot" about mopeds (I should probably say) nor am I obssessed with mopeds, which is why I came onto this website to get some advice or input on this problem since nobody at this moment around here deals with tomos mopeds or charge the right amount to repair it.

Brandon Hardesty /

ok where can I get a service manual?

no offense meant .. lots of 15 year olds drop by here and some don't even own a screwdriver.

Mopeds are cheap and about the simplest form of mechanical transportation there is so it's a good place to learn and practice basic mechanics. Personally, i wouldn't spend a dime having someone else mess with my moped.. i feel the same about my cars.

Don Pflueger /

there is one online at www.mopedriders.org in the moped repair section.

Brandon Hardesty /

Thanks for the advice. My neighbor friend across the street fixed it for free and as it turned out it was only the throttle that needed to be adjusted...though there could be "some"damage to the engine, but it's not very obvious yet.

Brandon Hardesty /

ok thanks but I found somebody now who can work it on it reasonably without me getting ripped off.

Hey Brandon, where in Richmond do you live?

e-mail me your contact info if you want to cruise with the Hells Satans soon.

Brandon Hardesty /

ok I take it hells satans is a moped gang?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account