Puch wiring

Jeremy Schaefer /

i have three wires with "clips" on them. I was changing motors. the coil only has spots for two wires to clip in. one blue and one brown...i have two brown wires...should I??They both look like they need to go to the coil..but i know it is supposed to be blue & brown...thanks

Re: Puch wiring

Jason Luther /

yeah, one browm should have a 'clip' so should the blue, those go to the coil. any other brown wires should just be grounded to the frame, motor, the bolt that the coil is attached with. anything.-jason

im not sure about this particular application, but a ground wire might be meant to attach to a device that is not directly grounded to the frame.

That device would have it's own 'ground' wire and a hot wire, perhaps like some tail lights whose mountings are rubber and are electrically isolated from the frame.

since we are (?) talking about a different engine from a different bike, that other bike might have a need for the extra ground wire but this bike doesn't.

Jason Luther /

what kind of bikes have this isolated ground? im just curious, im not picking a fight. on puchs though, the coil has its own ground, and then the 'hot' wire to the coil is 'switched' by a ground that runs through the horn, head light (i think), and kill switch. all the different ground wires ground at the same place. -jason

i didn't mean to be combative about it either :) and maybe i don;t understand the problem with the extra wire.

Some bikes do not use the frame as a ground. The engine block will be a good ground. But my PA50 uses rubber vibration isolation engine mounts. So the frame is not a reliable ground. They ran actual ground wires from the engine to all the needed places on the frame.

Jason Luther /

thats probably the best idea. i repainted a ped and couldnt for the life of me get the head light to work. i apparently painted over a surface that was the 'ground wire'. so hondas have a ground wire bundled with the 'hot' wire to every device?

it appears so.. i havent found anything that's grounded to the fenders, frame, handle bars or anywhere else. They all have ground wires that go back down to the engine.

Jason Luther /

thats cool, but it probably adds 5 cents to the cost of the ped though

i think the main reason they hadda do it this way is the engine and swing arm pivots as the rear end bounces up and down.. so something like a headlight that used the frame for a ground would blink without a solid ground.. Why not use a ground strap between the engine and frame? Aside from some rubber grommets/vibration gizmos here and there i'm not sure.. But it's a well made bike and Honda probably learned from experience with other bikes.

Jason Luther /

no, its a great 'idea' (i say idea because common sense would say to do what honda did, but the other companies im sure are just trying to cut costs), since the bolts that ground wires are usually connected sometimes get fouled-jason

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account