spark-plug

William Grandy /

I have a 1977 batavus starflite II and im having problems with spark plug fouling out i can run for about a mile then i have to stop and clean the plug gap it builds carbon quick

Re: spark-plug

sounds like your gas/oil mixture is too rich.

what ratio are you running?????

William Grandy /

It calls for 50:1 2.5 onces per gallon thats what im running but im also running led additive 1/2 once per gallon thats what it calls for on bottle

when did the problem start..

did you change something especially in regards to ignition or carburetion or air intake, etc.... are you using the proper spark plug and is it gapped correctly.

William Grandy /

yes it is the right spark-plug and its gapped correct points are correct it just started i had problems with fuel jet but i cleaned it it runs great but it keeps getting carbon stuck in gap once i clean gap it runs good carb is a little loose but it always has been i filed the clamp a little so i could tighten it more but i think i need longer screw to tighten it some more it has always been lose but ive never had problems like this

Allen Murphy /

Sounds like the lead additive may be trashing out your plug-you really don't need it on a moped, causes more problems that it's worth.

Al Murphy

Keith Hannah /

If you had a leak around the carb you'd be running lean, which wouldn't cause fouling. The first thing I'd do is stop using lead additive. The reason (the short reason at least) that lead was in gas back in the 70's and prior was to prevent the exhaust valves on 4 stroke engines from burning up. Your 2 stroke doesn't have valves and doesn't need lead additive. Either you're running too rich or you're not getting proper spark. What did you use to clean the jet? Is it possible that you accidentally enlarged the jet when you cleaned it?

agreed..

lead additives raise the octane rating. Higher octane does only one thing.. it puts a bandaid on pinging due to high compression. It slows down how fast the fuel mix burns. It does not increase power. Unless you need high octane it is a waste of money and can cause problems. There are many ways a normal tune-up might eliminate pinging.

Here's the basic story. These little bikes need steady, precise air/fuel mixture. If anything is leaking air or fuel or if anything is clogging up air or fuel intake you are gonna have trouble and loss of power.

First fix any leaks and carb problems and dump the lead additive (or explain clearly why you are using it in the first place). After that someone might be able to determine if you need a hotter spark plug or to change the main jet or do other carb adjustments.

John Joedicke /

Dump the additive, not needed. Its ONLY a moped!

Jason Luther /

plus once a plug gets so fouled it doesnt work, just buy a new one. cleaning the dirty one probably just helped it work enough to run for a little and then it fails again. ped repair 101: new plug. ped repair 102: clean carb.-jason

William Grandy /

the plug is new and its a cold plug its set at the right gap i dumped the led addtive and went with regular unleaded 87 octane and loss all power it dont have any pic up if i put it on the kick stand and run it wide open it will open up but it sounds like its got a miss in it

Jason Luther /

was it a new plug _today_? or was it a new plug a week ago when all of this started?

Jason Luther /

the lead additive is a complete waste of money. it says to use it because back in the 70s when, beleive it or not, gas was more expensive, people tried using coleman fuel. lead was in gasoline to cushion the valves in car engines. its a two stroke ped, it doesnt even have valves. buy a new spark plug, and then find out why your fouling plugs.

William Grandy /

what would you recomend my fuel mix should be i live on a long dirt road with hills i need all the pick up i can get

2.5 oz to a gallon

John Joedicke /

What is the plug you are using? You say its a cold plug? And the engine is miss firing. I be looking at your heat range again. Just a thought. j

William Grandy /

i pulled the air filter off and it runs correct has more power

don't use an airfilter, some screen door screening keeps the bugs out :) You might want to check the timing, otherwise it sounds like you have to play around with your fuels to see what causes the least amount of carbon build up. Also, like some of the other people said, clean everything out (including cylinder and piston, make sure your piston head isnt solid black). Also, techie brought up a good point, when you cleaned the jet, did you run a wire through it or spray through it?

William Grandy /

ran a small paper clip through it i didnt open up any holes wider than they allready were but i did get some stuff out of it

what's that website that compares different brands of spark plugs? or i think it talks about similarities or something, i had the link then lost it but i remember that it was pointing out NGK and Champion plugs, alternative uses or something...... can anyone help?

Norbert Gorgowicz /

Lead Additives where only created because during that time period, oil companies where afriad that people would start using the "white gas" so on most moped they ask for leaded fuel.

Like everyone else, this does create more problems then it's worth.

Run 87 Octane or _Regular_ and it should stop clogging up.

Remember, you don't need lead additives

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account