Honda questions

I'm acutely aware that the moped army is not universally keen on Honda peds but I got questions for anyone.

We've got a 1982 Honda Express with a two speed engine. It is exactly like the one in the photo section after the 1983 Honda Urban Express Deluxe NU50M.

Are parts for this interchangeable with any other Honda Express? And, more importantly, since my brother removed the cylinder head (the piston is completely visible) and no one knows what became of it, can another one be acquired and is IT in any way interchangeable with ANY other Honda?

Leads?

Re: Honda questions

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Hang in there, I don't thinkmembers dislike hondas. I think most members would like to have one because they are very reliable.

go to the Honda dealer parts desk.. if you find someone friendly behind the counter they might answer your question. Honda still has all the microfilm, service info, many parts, etc to my '78 Hobbit.

Another good source of cheap parts and sometimes good info is a local motorcycle salvage yard.. Most of the ones i visit have many mopeds .. Some times they don't even know it since it's been decades since a moped was aquired. Sometimes the guy is into moped and knows all about 'em.

<partsfish.com>

A. J. Souza /

For joew: Care to provide me with any salvage yards' names and numbers, please? Only one in my state, and he's a maniac, both in terms of organization and pricing. I have tried the local Honda dealer and the kid there was ok with answering some of the questions--but just for OEM parts and couldn't answer the most important one regarding getting an aftermarket kit that would fit the '82-3 Honda two speed. He suggested going to ask some of the other mechanics in town to see if any had an answer. I guess the main thing to find out is if all the Expresses had the same top ends and what is available from there.

For Paul: Will try partsfish.com also.

Google motorcycle salvage yards and you get lots of :

http://www.moto-directory.com/salvage.asp

http://www.cyclemallusa.com/salvage/home.html

http://www.motosites.com/Motorcycle_Salvage_Yards/

If there's only one in your state, you might have to call outside your area... I drove a couple hours to go to a wedding and took the opportunity to drop by a boneyard i knew about.. Unknown to him, the guy had a few PA50 II's and lots of other mopeds and i bought 2 nearly complete parts bikes real cheap..

As far as Honda, you gotta get lucky. You need someone with experience and knowledge and a helpful attitude.. Otherwise they are probably cautioned to go only by the parts book and do not willingly go beyond specific part/part numbers, etc.. Call around..

See if you can find the manual for all the small bikes .. if im not mistaken there is one that covers the Express all years. Publisher is probbly Haynes or Clymer .. EBay is another place to look.

A. J. Souza /

Again thanks to joew, who has (knowingly or not) provided more than one precise answer to my queries.

Checked the partsfish.com; no moped stuff. Checked the local motorcycle salvage guy who offered a top end (used, good) for $145 for Express along with opinion that he "believed" they were interchangeable. New top end from Honda dealer (stock, if available) is $200, new aftermarket top end (w/o head, gotta use old one) is $100 for 65cc.

I suppose that's what happens when only one guy has the market. (He once offered a chassis with an old rusted Puch engine, bent fork and not much else to me for $50 and another old Murray Puch for $125, except I couldn't get to it under the pile of stuff to evaluate anything!)

Honda hunt continues.

I guess those prices are reasonable .. when someone wants a piece of junk from a junkyard full of junk, that particular piece of junk suddenly experiences a dramatic increases in value. I don't like spending money on bikes. I prefer to make or modify whatever i can. Doing so is an enjoyable part of this hobby for me.

As far as scouring salvage/wrecking yards and similar, I prefer to deal with clueless sellers. This requires that i know what i need and that's the hard part when dealing with an new, unfamiliar moped.

In my experience manufacturers prefer to keep things as simple and uniform as possible so that one machine set-up can bore or cut parts for many different models. Knowing what's interchangable and what's not is something an interested owner is most likely to make the effort to discover. Once someone knows that stuff the pool of usable parts can get deep.

A. J. Souza /

Paul, checked out your site, gave them a call: They don't bother with anything 'that small.'

"Paul, checked out your site, gave them a call: They don&#8217;t bother with anything &#8216;that small.&#8217;"

i don't know who you talked with, but i have bought tons of parts from them for a 1985 honda gyro, and a 1982 honda mb5, honda elites.

never had a problem.

A. J. Souza /

Okay. Willing to give second chance. Got any contact names? Guy I spoke to (long distance) was quite firm about the statement I quoted above and I found nothing on their website for mopeds. I even considered the prospect that maybe their definition of a moped differed legally from ours (and they considered it a "scooter") and posed the issue from that perspective.

Nothing.

A. J. Souza /

Almost forgot. One local mechanic swears that he has a top end 63cc kit that will work on the '83 Honda Express two speed but it required the cylinder head from the original bike (at least the portion where the plug is screwed). If the piston is actually larger, wouldn't you think that it might whack the plug bottom/or head bottom? (Not that I have that head, anyway.)

Among other things, to say the kit "fits" implies the piston will not hit the head. How much does he want for it? You still need to find a head so this deal seems like a side track.

bikebandit.com...........this is all for the nu50m

1982 Honda NU50M

To view the parts you need, click on one of the schematic diagrams listed. Not sure which schematic to view? Use the search box below!

AIR CLEANER

CARBURETOR

CRANKCASE . OIL PUMP

CRANKSHAFT . PISTON

CYLINDER . CYLINDER HEAD

DRIVE FACE . KICK STARTER

DRIVEN FACE

EXHAUST MUFFLER

FRAME BODY.STEP BAR

FRONT FENDER

FRONT FORK

FRONT WHEEL . FRONT BRAKE PANEL

FUEL TANK

GASKET KIT

GENERATOR

HANDLE LEVER . CABLE . SWITCH

HEADLIGHT . HEADLIGHT CASE

LEFT SIDE COVER

OIL TANK . REAR CARRIER

REAR CUSHION

REAR WHEEL

SEAT

SPEEDOMETER . HANDLE PIPE . FRONT CARRIER

STAND.STEP.KICK STARTER ARM

STARTING MOTOR

STRIPE.MARK

STRIPE.MARK.EMBLEM

TAILLIGHT.REAR FENDER

TRANSMISSION

WINKER

WIRE HARNESS . BATTERY . IGNITION COIL

A. J. Souza /

The particular kit he mentioned was $100 with tax. I phoned him a second time to ask the question about ithe piston whacking the bottom of the head and he assured me that it was specifically designed to accomodate it. Okay.

Still the same thing though: Need to locate a head.

Also tried Paul's bikebandit suggestion and have a question in to them. Found the bike mentioned in the site (it's an Express NC50) and they have stuff, but no cylinder heads (at least, that I located). So the hunt for answers continues. I've got a question in to a Texas guy who has restored the same kind of bike. Maybe that will get some more info.

Thanks to all nonetheless.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account