1985 scorpion needs help

I just bought a 1985 Scorpion for $20 bucks, and it needs some serious help. I need to find a good parts distributer or some recource ideas from you pros out there...

Re: 1985 scorpion needs help

Jason Luther /

looking at pictures it looks like it has a morini engine. these parts are pretty readily gotten. check the resourses page on this site for stores. also use freds guide on this site, its most helpful. is this your first ped? does it run at all?-jason

Yes, this is my first Ped, thanks for the advise. No it doesn't run it needs a piston head among other things. Also I am not real sure of the year either, I searched Scorpion and found a pic on this site. Is there a way to read the year off the vin number or something? And whats the significance of the morini engine?

Jason Luther /

morinis are good engine, and the parts are found easily. look on the underside of the engine, it should have the engine model stamped on it. MO-1, MO-2 etc or if you take a pisture of it and post it hear, someone can tell you.

thanks for all the advise

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

I think this was made by Mobylette. try googling Mobylette.

Harvie , You paid $20 for a 20 year old moped with unknown roots, are you sure you want to pusue this project?Restoring a known brand such as Puch or Sachs can be very expensive. Someone on this site just restored a Pinto, do a search and read their posts. Sometimes it is better to walk away.

Thanks for th e advice, for $20 its hard to walk away from. It never hurts to look.

Jason Luther /

you already have it. fix it! then ride the hell out of it

I say sell it and buy a real machine. Right now if he gave it away he would only be out $20 but if he puts mucho $ in it before he realizes all needed parts are not available, how much is he out? I have had to make the same deceison on old cars many times.

i found my first moped in a metal scrap yard. It had been crushed by an earthmover .. the main frame tube was bent, various attachments damaged beyond repair.. no tank no seat, etc, but wheels and engine were relatively untouched.. asking price $1 so i gave him $5 for a sixpack.

about 6 weeks and at most $100 later it was on the road and ran fine.. but i think i got as much enjoyment out of it the first 6 weeks than i did riding it.

I would like to learn more about my ride and the availability of parts and then make an educated decision to carry-on or turn it into a lawn ornament. Don't worry I'm not ready to hang it up yet...

Good thinking Harvie.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account