chokeing

William Grandy /

I have a 1977 batavus starflite II and im having troubles trying to keep it running if i hold in the choke just a little it runs great if i let it go it cuts off.It ran great the last time i road it but we had some extream cold nights I looked at it one morning and it had gas all around the gas cap i thought it might have froze and got water in the gas so i cleaned out gas tank and bowl and carb bowl but it still runs the same i have to hold the choke in a little to make it run right

Re: chokeing

Sounds like a fuel mixture problem. My tomos ran better on those cold nights here too. Sounds like (from what I've learned) you might need to upjet.

You don't say how long the bike sat before you rode it in cold weather.. a week? months? you also don't say at what speed the engine runs rough. .. these things would be nice to know.

Your air/fuel mixture is upset for some reason. Partially closing the choke slightly limits air flow and so the proper air/fuel mix is restored. (not enough gasoline is being delivered to properly mix with all of the available air)

Find out why fuel flow is restricted. Clean the carb again and pay particular attention to the bowl, the main jet and the area above it. Remove the jet and check for blockage.

William Grandy /

It was only sitting for about 3 days when i looked at it fuel was comming out the gas cap no one had moved or messed with it i have it on a covered porch fuel mix is 89 octane unleaded with 2.5 oil mix and correct lead mix obout 1/2 ounce per gal

I agree with joew. It sounds like either the float level in the carb is set too low, not letting enough gas into the carb to operate properly or the main jet is plugged.

Also check the float valve and the fuel valve from the tank.

Is it possible that some joker put water in your tank? The water would freeze and then swell up forcing the gas out of the tank.

i think i'm gonna totally ignore "fuel was comming out the gas cap" until he explains what that means..

William Grandy /

It looked like gas had been spilt around the cap it was gas because i smelt it and the moped hadnt been moved for three days it did get down to 15 degrees it ran fine when i parked it ive taken the bowl conected to the tank off and dryed it out and i took the carb bowl cover off and cleaned it out good but for some reason it will not run unless i hold the choke in a little i just finished cleanning the carb completley and put it back together and it ran good untill i parked it for three days

Jason Luther /

have you even _checked_ to see if the main jet is clogged?

" ive taken the bowl conected to the tank off and dryed it out " <-- explain exactly what part you re referring to.. describe it or post a photo of it.

"and i took the carb bowl cover off and cleaned it out" <-- Do you mean the bowl that is screwed to the bottom of the carb? If so, cleaning that bowl is important but there are other things that need to be cleaned. Fuel in that bowl is sucked up through a tiny hole (main jet) .. That main jet can be partially clogged and it has to be inspected, especially if you found ANY junk in the bowl.

I think maybe someone knocked the bike over and that's how gas got spilled out of the cap..

You have to use the choke because there is not enough gas being delivered.. "Search" this forum for threads about carb cleaning and do it right.. A clean carburetor is just about the most important thing there is when it comes to having a bike that runs well.

Jason Luther /

last summer my puch started running horrible. a few days before i put in a larger mainjet and cleaned the carb real well. so it was running like crap. i bought 3 new plug, different heat ranges, redid all of my grounds, cleaned and messed with the points. i didnt take my carb apart again because "it cant be the carb, i just cleaned it". well after 3 days i took the carb bowl off, and low and behold the jet was sitting in the bottom of it, it had vibrated looses. potentially save yourself time and money and check out the carb.

i hadn't ridden my bike for about 6 weeks.. went to ride it and it bogged like hell at 10 MPH .. and i KNEW what it was.. damn..

so i dropped the damn motor to get to the carb.. took the carb bowl off and there at the bottom was a tiny flake of light orange something.. looked like some oil/gas residue collected and solidified in the bottom of the bowl and it broke loose.

As soon as i opened the throttle this flake of crap floated up and partially blocked the jet.

I had a similar problem with my unit some time ago.

When you take the carb float bowl off it might be possible that it can be installed incorrectly. On my Honda if the bowl is installed 180 degrees out the float will not work properly.

Check it out.

While you have it off check your main jet for dirt like other people have recommended.

Good luck

William Grandy /

It was the main jet it needed to be cleaned thanks alot

Jason Luther /

damn that sounded good. cool beans. safe riding.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account