Re: Dies at half throttle

Brett Walker /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

yeah calebs told me of this big ass reed valve kit for the sachs engines, thats crazy, almost twice as many cc's as what a stock moped is, same with the minarelli kit

the exhuast probably isn't the problem or the sole contributor of the problem, but if its dirty or there is a ring of carbon in the port it definately isn't doing any good, plus removing the pipe entirely may not help you to troubleshoot anything, as the engine needs a certain amount of back pressure to run properly

i would suggest putting tape on the outside of the cone if your going to go that way,

infact if i remember right thats how josh dahl in boston has his magnum set up, theres a nice peice of duct tape around the wider part of the cone, on my standard air box i have a bunch of holes drilled in it and i usually ride around with some tape on some of the holes when i am trying to find the correct jet,

in terms of checking and cleaning your points, its real simple, get an automotive feeler gauge from napa for about 5 bucks, i believe .016 is the correct measurement off the top of my head, when you look inside the magneto, the stator plate should have 2 coils, a larger and a smaller, a condensor and a set of points. the points look like 2 little discs and they open and close when you turn the magneto, next to the points is a screw, loosen it up a little and then insert your screwdriver into the lever in the same area, the lever will manually open and close the points, stick the feeler gauge in and close the points on the feeler and then tighten the screw back up, then take a small emery board and stick that between the points and quickly pull it out, this will clean off any worn surface area, then take a little piece of card stock or something and spray some carb cleaner on it, stick that in the points to clean any gunk or what not that you my have loosened by sanding and adjusting, just make sure you dont loose anything in the magneto and you should be all set

in terms of your timing, i would have someone show you or read the manual on how to do it, as it would probably take me forever to tell you on here, plus if your bikes running at all the timing is probably set close enough to run fine, however have someone show you how to properly set the timing

i would suggest reading the puch manual as well, you can find one on the moped riders website,

and maybe buy a few jets under the 64 you currently have, say a 60, 62, 66, 68,70, 72, 74,

give yourself a good carb cleaning while your at it, the smallest piece of junk could clog everything up, in fact i could almost bet that half of your problem lies in the carb being dirty, did this problem just happen with the same set up that you have always run, or did you put on that filter and jet and it suddenly started cutting out at half throttle? Because if you have always run the same set up and the bike suddenly started cutting out, it could very well be a dirty carb,

and make sure your tires are inflated properly and your chain in at the proper tension

man i've typed a lot, hope that helps,

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Dies at half throttleTopic by: The Wygle The Wygle 12/20/04 07:31PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Brett Walker Brett Walker 12/20/04 07:52PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Jason Luther Jason Luther 12/20/04 08:23PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Jason Luther Jason Luther 12/20/04 08:52PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: The Wygle The Wygle 12/20/04 08:43PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: The Wygle The Wygle 12/20/04 09:00PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Jason Luther Jason Luther 12/20/04 09:05PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Brett Walker Brett Walker 12/20/04 09:28PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Joe Woods Joe Woods 12/20/04 10:25PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Bill W Bill W 12/21/04 01:03AM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: The Wygle The Wygle 12/21/04 06:59AM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Joe Woods Joe Woods 12/21/04 01:40PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Bill W Bill W 12/21/04 03:22PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Joe Woods Joe Woods 12/21/04 03:32PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Brett Walker Brett Walker 12/21/04 09:55AM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: James Foster James Foster 12/21/04 03:30PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Brett Walker Brett Walker 12/21/04 04:16PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Joe Woods Joe Woods 12/21/04 05:23PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: The Wygle The Wygle 12/21/04 08:21PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Jason Luther Jason Luther 12/21/04 10:03PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Joe Woods Joe Woods 12/21/04 10:36PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: The Wygle The Wygle 12/22/04 06:55AM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Joe Woods Joe Woods 12/22/04 10:21AM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Jason Luther Jason Luther 12/22/04 10:34PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: The Wygle The Wygle 12/22/04 11:06PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Joe Woods Joe Woods 12/22/04 11:36PM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: The Wygle The Wygle 12/23/04 07:04AM
  Re: Dies at half throttleRe: Brett Walker Brett Walker 12/23/04 01:46PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account