Copmlete the circuit. Tail light prob.

My 78 Puch N tail light blew out the other day. It's really a simple problem to fix, new light. But, I was wondering if, like christmas lights, in order for both the tail and break light to work, i must have a new bulb in each socket?

Also, I can't figure out how to get my break light to work. I know i need a 10v for the break and a 5v for the tail. Which I have. But the break light won't come on. I've traced the wires and everything seems in order. Any ideas would be helpful.

Re: Copmlete the circuit. Tail light prob.

I have the headlight hardwired to On. I don't know if this helps.

I like to post three times before I get a reply. With that said;

I typed in 5v/10v, what I meant was 5w/10w, they are both 6v.

Jason Luther /

does your tail light work? has your brake light ever worked? make sure they are grounded, also check the brake switch. the brake light has its own lead from the motor, and is grounded through the brake switch.-jason

Sean Taylor 9/18/1971 - 1/14/2007 /

I have the same problem with my Bravo. Any clue?

Jason Luther /

come on. you need, in no particular order 1. electricity (provided by coil, highly doubt thats bad) 2. wires ( check continuity) 3. a ground (usually through the switch on the handle bar) 4. a bulb ( make sure you check the wattage. a 5w in a 10w socket will burn out real fast, probably before you can check if its lit). work your way through it. looking at the wires doesnt mean you can see if its broken inside the insulation. check the ground (brown wire on a puch), all it takes is a little corrosion. -jason

Jason,

Sorry if I offended you with my question, I am somewhat new to this.

So, half of the problem was solved (as suspected) with a new taillight bulb. It also seems that the ground wire is loose (brown wire on a puch), so that's fixable.

But problem #2? No, it's never worked, so I got a new 10w bulb, even though the old one still looked fine. I put the new on in, and, low and behold, there was light. ok, so it wasn't really light, but a faint glimmer one might mistake for light. The filament glowed soft amber, yet when the break was depressed (as are most things this time of year in seattle), nothing changed. Any thoughts?

Are you talking about the brake light being dim or the taillight? So the brake light is lighting up even though the brake lever is not depressed?

Did you give it some throttle also and then hit the brake to see if it was brighter than just at idling speed? Probably but just asking..

Jason Luther /

i didnt mean to be so snippy. so yeah, does your tail light work (it should when your head light is on)? the tail light and brake light are two completely differnet circuits.

if your brake light is on all of time, that means your ground is messed up. the brake switch (connected to the bake handle) controls the ground. when you pull the handle the swtich completes the ground, allowing the brake light to light up.

as fred asked, when you are just idling the bulbs are barely going to glow, give it some gas on the stand and see if it lights up. i had the same problem with my maxi (brake light always on), i got a wiring diagram (easiyl found on web) and ended up having to run a new ground, who knows what the previous owner did to the wiring system. -jason

brake lights, at least from my experience, are never that bright,

and an ohm meter does a world of good

My tail light glows well when i'm ideling, it seems to be fine. It is my break light I'm concerned with. It's on, but it looks like a flash lights bulb when you're running out of batteries, and that's just the normal status of the light. When I hit the breaks, it stays the same. No brightness comes. I'm going to try to fix the ground wire now. We'll see.

Jason Luther /

the fact that is stays on means its grounding, somewhere. try unpluging the switches, i bet one of them is bad. all the switches do is ground the circuit.-jason

I fixed. What it was:

My break lever was bent, therfore not making contact with the switch, so i bent it back into place and that fixed that part. It was the ground wire that was causing the dimness of the bulb. All that seems fixed now, thanks!

Jason Luther /

cool beans. even the smallest of problems spout the waters of knowledge. -jason

Jason Luther /

i cant beleive i just wrote that

Hey, i have the same problem! I need your knowledge amory. =) Ok.... I just put a new tail light on, the light has 3 connectors, one for the brake light, one for the tail light, and the other one, i have no clue what it's for. Is it for a ground wire? If so, should i just make a ground wire that goes right onto the fende or the frame? The bike also stalls when you pull in the brakes. any help would be great. thanks

Jason Luther /

the motor stalls because you dont have a brake light. yes the third wire is a ground. its been a while since i had it apart but i think it was just grounded onto the fender. (you can ground it anywhere, but i think there is a screw just for that).-jason

alright, i will give that a shot.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account