starts but will not run over a minute

Scott Hacker /

i have a new carb.good spark,fuel flow seams ok. help?

Re: starts but will not run over a minute

seems ok .. if it's running out of gas it's not ok, so first determine that it IS ok. Start witht the gascap vent and work your way down.. If the carb has a float bowl drain, open it and drain about a quart of fuel into a container so you know it's continuous, on both Reserve and Main.

Barring a fuel flow problem, there might be other, more unlikely things that could cause it to die after 1 minute. After you know about fuel flow, post the results and provide some details about the bike and it's history.

Don Pflueger /

start with the gas cap vent and work your way down thru the fuel system to make sure everything is clean and the fuel is flowing freely.

Scott Hacker /

Ican hear the air sucking at the gas tank cap, I pulled the fuel line and it flows steady on reserve and normal.I also cleaned the new carb. the bike is a general 5 star top mount tank new petcock was also added. scott

need more clues and details..

Are there any engine symptoms right when it dies.. like does the engine speed up or slow down... any noises or anything.

Are you driving at high speed for one minute or are you at idle for one minute before it dies.

Does the bike restart immediately or perhaps after a short or long wait..

Did this problem recently develop or is this a brand new project and it never ran right.

Are there any other problems.

Are there any modifications to the stock bike.

why did you put a new carb on the bike..

and anything else you can think of that may provide a clue.

Maybe I missed something from another post but what brand of moped are you referring to?

New carb? Do you take the float bolw off and reinstall it?

Scott Hacker /

the bike is a general 5 star, it ran great, it started to back fire and loose power. i got a new carb delorto. the old one had a crack and was leaking.now when starting it revs up then putts about 3 times.or it sounds like its doging out. it can be restarted right away.the fuel flow could not be better. ? any ideas. scott

if it backfires (fires back through the carb) it might be a ignition timing issue. This could also explain why it won't run.

Have you checked timing lately?

Did you do any work on the bike around the time it started acting up?

Did you ever have ignition problems in the past?

Don Pflueger /

two things cause backfiring.

1-timing

2- an air leak

replace your spark plug, clean and adjust your points, and do a compression test.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account