15mm amal carb problem i think. this sucks

can anyone give me an opinion on what my problem might be , I cant get my carb to stop flooding out gas just pours out of the carb.i cleaned the carb a bunch of times but it keeps happening. last week when i tried to start it the motor seemed to not want to turn over like it had back pressure so i took out the spark plug . it was soaked i guess when the motor did turn of it sucked up a bunch of gas so i cleaned out the carb and checked to see that the float needle was working properly . i took off the bowl and manually moved the float the valve seemed to be working.it would shut of just before being level with the carb body.so i think it is working properly.next i took off the exhaust pipe and it was completely full mybe 3 cups of fuel. so i was thinking that maybe the float had gotten stuck and the piston was in a certain position as to allow the fuel to drain directly into the exhaust if that is possible/anyway that is were i am at it is still flooding out it seems to run good at top speed then when you slow down or try to idle it floods out.please help,also could it somehow be thepiston ring ring

Re: 15mm amal carb problem i think. this sucks

have you tried removing the carb, connecting the fuel line, hold the carb level and wait and see if it is actually leaking? Maybe you're right about the float having a problem.. like it don't actually float or something.

Jason Luther /

you are able to put a million times more force with the tip of your little finger on the flaot to make the needle seal, so thats not a good test. try a different float needle if you have one laying around. and/or remove the float and put it in a cup of gas and see if it floats. its something simple, just throughly find out what. -jason

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Rebuild the carb including float replacement. Do you want to know why it isn't working or do you want it fixed?

its good to figure out why something isn''t working, for many reasons,

i hate it when a problem suddenly fixed itself and i have no idea why, with the knowledge of why something acted or didnt act a certain way i can then prepare for it in the future, or at least better understand why it went wrong

You already know whats wrong, the needle valve doesnt cutoff the fuel. several reasons: 1. the float chamber has a hole 2. the valve, valve seat or float is bad or misadjusted. 3. there is dirt between the valve and seat. Did you try the advice from the other posts? A good carb rebuild kit will give you a valve, float, valve seat if yours is removable, gaskets and instructions on how to set the float .some times you get drawings or pictures. Did you check Freds in MA resources or google "carb rebuild"? Good luck.

Ken, go to the moped repair forum and do a search on

Ken, go to Moped repair forum, change the date and do a search on "puch carb". Many threads will come up. hope this helps.

i had the same problem with a bing carb, i messed with it for day's finally dumped the 50 bucks got a whole new carb,

took all the new carb parts put them in the leaky carb-did the same thing.

just get rebulit kit or a new carb

sometimes it's just that easy

Jason Luther /

"just that easy", although not on the pocket book. carbs, unless they crack or disintegrate or something dont just wear out. just the few working parts inside them that only cost a few bucks. why stop at just buying a new carb? just buy a brand new ped.-jason

thanks for the insight the carb only has limited miles on it .I think i will put a rebuild kit on it . i will repost later

Allen Murphy /

Jason, some of the earlier carbs would corrode, or their seals went to shit when exposed to alcohol-containing fuels.

It was a common problem on certain carbs--the old Dodge Omni/Plymouth Horizon was notorious for that, and once they started to corrode, no amount of cleaning would EVER get it right again!

The trick there was to get a new carb, and spray the inside of the float bowl with an epoxy paint to seal the metal, and then reasemble the carb.

Carbs of current manufacture have better metal and seals just to avoid these kind of problems.

So, yeah-sometimes it is just easier to get a new carb, cheap or not!

Al Murphy

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account