trans fluid for 79 malaguti commuter 2

what should i run in my 2 speed transmission on my 79 malaguti commuter 2. on the trans case, it says "use 1 lb. sae 20 oil" i dont know what they mean. please help me!

Re: trans fluid for 79 malaguti commuter 2

See Ya Moped Army /

SAE 20 or SAE 30 Non-detergent oil. I doubt you'll be able to find any SAE 20 Non-Detergent. SAE 30 Non-detergent is available at Wal-mart.

Tyler Wax /

thanks man, i appreciate it, what do u think about synthetic adn what does 1 pound of oil mean? 16 oz?

i can't believe it says one pound of oil.. or 1 lb. of oil. Clean it off and take another look.

But anyway, it may not mean 16 ounces.. because just to confuse things with some trivia:

This bike is Italian .. the abbreviation lb. comes from libra, the basic unit of Roman weight. A libra is about 12 ounces.

oz. is from italian onza (ounce) Ounce comes from the Latin "uncia", which means a 12th, (which is also the source of the term "inch." )

So it might mean 12 ounces.

See Ya Moped Army /

You fill it until it runs out of the oil fill hole on the side of the tranny cover.

Jason Luther /

the plug on my italian ped said 'olio', so i filled it with margarine. i can do wheelies. (but my exhaust smells like a corn roast)

Tyler Wax /

oh, it has a dipstick so i should maybe keep putting it in to see when its full. thats better than guess work

dipstick.. cool..

maybe measure how many ounces you put in and see if it matches "1 lb." in some way..

you put margarine in a moped........are you stupid?

and I didn't have a hard time finding sae 20 non detergent. I just went to NAPA and bought some. no trouble at all.

hmm.. thats funny. I went to NAPA but no luck.. I asked the guy "You got any sae 20?

He says "say 20?"

I said "yeah.. sae 20"

He said he didn't have any. Maybe i'm pronouncing it wrong or something.

Jason Luther /

i went to napa, but all i got was wine

Jason Luther /

no one knew before, does anyone now? what is the detergant, and how will it hurt the clutch? -jason

From what i gaher, detergent loosens particles of crap so they can circulate and get trapped in your oil filter.. unless you don't HAVE an oil filter. In that case you really don't want the crap floating around. Changing oil often works fine to get rid of the crud.

And high temperatures (like between the pads of a clutch) tends to turn some of the detergent additives into like a shellac.

Jason Luther /

thanks, you are a fountain of knowledge

It's almost magic how i come up with this stuff.. you'd think i wuz a genius or sumpthin... but i'll give you my secret cause you're cool..

search Google for: motor oil detergent

don't tell nobody.

Jason Luther /

i wish i had the patience for weeding out useful info from searches. theres just so much shit out there.

I don't have much patience either..

but i have to do lots of searching for stuff and sometimes plain old searching skill can cut the time and effort and you don't need lots of patience..

Here's the link i found.. it was like the third hit on Google.

http://www.atis.net/oil_faq.html

Jason Luther /

man, im still amazed at the amount of 'stuff' thats on the web. who would sit there and bother to type all of this out for the public good?

If you think there's a lot on the net now, just wait.. Who was it.. i just it heard yesterday.. damn..Oh yeah.. Get this:

Google is going to go to a few big, famous libraries and scan all kinds of books, page by page, and create an online library. I didn't hear the details but it's likely to be practically free since the library is free.. might be legal stuff that demands it has free access

Someday (maybe sooner than we think) libraries, book stores and anything else that has to do with hard-copy paper is going to be outta business and on the net instead.

Jason Luther /

yeah i heard that on npr yesturday. thats going to be so great. id hate to be the one scanning every book in harvards, yales, u of ms and a few others libraries though. i hope there will still be hard copies, i couldnt imagine reading everything off of as screen. bleehhhh. but people probably thought records would be around forever, they even stamped a gold one for voyager 2. the aliens that find that will probably crap their pants from laughing (thats assuming they crap.)

Bump

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account