URGENT! FULE FLOW.

I'm am compleatly stumped, I had my carb cleaned and rebuilt, and when the gas line is attached, the fuel does not flow at all. when i pull the line off it flows all over the place. The fuel line does not even fill, i can see the same air bubbles in there all the time. This is a 77 Motobeacane, and i've checked the filter and the float all seem good. but the gas does not make it out of the float bowl into the jet. The moped only runs if i spray gas directly into the throttle slide. Please help, is there a adjustment i'm missing?

Re: URGENT! FULE FLOW.

Chad Watkins /

And Yes I realize i spelt my topic Fuel flow (Fule Flow), my bad.

start with a carb rebuild i would suggest.. just my opinion tho..

--cb-

Ben Van Zoest /

Most likely the needle jet orifice is clogged, do you know how to clean it?

Are you saying that the float bowl fills with fuel?

If it does but there's no sign of fuel getting into the engine, the main jet or something in that area is clogged or not working.. Like it might be the main jet is clogged or maybe the jet needle (if there is one) is detached or stuck and does not move up when you twist the throttle.

If the bowl is not filling with fuel, the float itself could be stuck and can't drop down, allowing the float needle to drop. Perhaps the float is rubbing on the wall of the float bowl when assembled or hitting something else.

Or there could be blockage in the float needle passage.. Or the float needle could be jammed, stuck up in the float needle orifice.

Or a fuel filter/screen near the fuel line entrance in the carb could be clogged..

Or the carb could be assembled wrong. For instance sometimes a float bowl can go on in two ways, only one of which is correct. If it's wrong the float may not be able to move.

Trace the fuel path from the end of the tank hose all the through the carb to the venturi.. Fuel is being blocked somewhere and you gotta find out where.

Chad Watkins /

It's had to explain what happens. The carb was cleaned in a carb cleaning machine for several hours, maybe there might be something clogged. But when i attach the line fuel stop compleatly, it doesnt even seem to go into the carb. But i'll take it all apart and check all the passage ways.

See Ya Moped Army /

Make sure the float needle is pointing straight up towards the top of the carb cover.

There is no substitute for completely disassembling a carb and cleaning it by hand.. brushes and toothpicks and soft wires to go through all the little holes and strong compressed air to blow all the passages clean.

A truely clean carb is a most important thing on these little engines. Microscopic bits of crud can cripple a bike. And on some bikes its such a pain in the ass just to remove the carb.. cleaning it properly with visual inspection under magnification and strong lighting is well worth the effort.

I think you will discover where it's clogged as soon as you take a close look at it.

do not clean passageways on a carb with wire. it can change the shape/diameter of passageways thus making it worthless. especially in these small carbs with non adjustable pilot jets.

I have found it safe to clean small carb passages with solvent and a wire clipped off a brass wire brush

You're right.. The bore of a brass jet is easily damaged and just a scratch might change it's flow rate. Don't use hard wire or any hard tool near a jet unless you are extremely careful. I prefer a single strand of soft copper wire from a small wire cable if i'm forced to poke something out of a jet's hole.

An idle jet's hole might be so tiny that you won't find anything that fits in it. A good soaking in solvent followed by compressed air blast should do it. First make sure it's actually clogged before moving on to any sort of mechanical cleaning.

I sometimes use kerosene in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner but thats another story for another day. Liquids in ultrasonic cleaners get hot and kerosene is flamable.. caution!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account