Harley moped

I was handed down a Harley-Davidson moped from my grandfather in Allentown PA that was dissassembled and placed in crates for shipping. All the necessary parts appear to be there with a few exceptions. I am an avid mechanic and have assembled it only to find that the clutch actuator in the transfer case is frozen. The moped is red and bears the digits W313 on the top of the engine. It is of course a single cyl., 2 stroke engine and the frame bears the ser. # of 66M22128. I am uncertain of the engine size and am looking for a repair manual that will show the correct placement of the shim washers for the transfer shafts. I was told that it is a Harley .50 by unreliable sources. The only components needed to make it operational are the above listed configurations, rear brake rod and the inside components for the headlight. Please advise, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Jones

Land O' Lakes, FL

Re: Harley moped

Don Pflueger /

post a pic of it.

As far as displacement, 50cc is going to have real close to a 40mm bore and 40mm stroke.

The Photos section (linked above) has a couple Harleys.. one is red.

Also, it seems that AMF made a 'Harley" moped for a while but that one had a direct drive McCulloch engine over the rear wheel.. apparently sold through Sears. at least one is for sale including owners manual, etc..

http://my.rapidnet.com/classifieds/post.asp?id=20188

There's not a lot of Google hits on Harley mopeds..

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

There are 3 pics in the photo section.

Don Pflueger /

there was one on here a while back that was built by tomos for harley. looked like a silver bullet. do a search on old post for the thread with the pics.

First you will have to determine the model.

If it does not have pedals, it is not a moped. It is a motorcycle.

When AMF owned Harley-Davidson they bought the Aermacchi Co in Italy. They brought in bikes from the 350cc Sprint down to the 65cc mini-cycle.

If you have a friendly Harley dealer nearby you might try them first.

Timmy Southpark /

i had another AMF moped that had a moto minerali engine on it, so they didnt just use the Mcculloch engine.

Don Pflueger /

nope, they sure didnt. i have a 1980 amf golden arrow sitting in my garage right now with a minerrelli v1.

Leon Swarmer /

My ocal HD dealer has an HD moped on display. guessing I'd say mid 60s.

Leon

Harley moped

If you have a friendly Harley dealer nearby you might try them first.

Wouldn't it be amusing to putt-putt up to a Harley Dealer on a 50cc Moped, in between the 1450cc, $25k big new Harleys?

:)

Leon Swarmer /

Been there done that 80 Honda Express Fun

Hey, Leon -

Wasn't that on one of your charity runs?

I thought that you had mentioned that episode!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account