Motobecane coil OHM readings.

Casey Lacourse /

I recently bought a new points and condenser assembly for my motobecane. I was wondering what the OHM coil ohm readings for the primary and secondary coils were.

Also, how do I set up the timing on the motobecane, is it 5degrese before TDC?

Thanks in advance

Re: Motobecane coil OHM readings.

I don't know why you want the info, but if you just put an ohm-meter (multimeter ohm setting) on the coils you will get it.

Generally speaking, since different coils do different things and some coils are probably tapped to provide particular voltages for certain uses, there could be several readings depending on what points you measure from.

Casey Lacourse /

I wanted the readings to compare and see if my coil was over heating. It stoped working after 5 min of riding. People said it was a condenser so I am replacing that. I figured I might as well check other things since I have the engine off.

There isn't really a good way to check the coils in this way. Replace the condenser, and then measure your power output with a voltmeter. That will give you an idea of the coils conditions.

Set your timing so the points break at 1.5 to 2mm BTDC. The gap should be between .012 and .014 inches.

Casey Lacourse /

Thanks a lot

I just read the thread about your problem from a week or so ago. Despite lots of good advice to the contrary, you have decided your trouble is ignition related. And now you're getting into the ozone layer of diagnosis with wondering how many ohm of resistance are in some coils?

Look.. numerous carburation defects can cause symptoms of no-spark. A loose bolt or two can cause misfires. Too much 2-stroke oil in the fuel mix can cause it. A dirty air filter .. a damaged ignition wire or spark plug boot... polluted fuel.. the list is endless.

Aside from the sparkplug, ignition components should be the last things on the list of suspects.

casey are there markings on the coil <model /make> ??? Also how many connections 2 , 3 ???

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Joew, I hope you were just kidding about bad carburation causing a NO SPARK condition because one could remove the carburator completely and still get spark but the engine would not start. Think about it.

you're running rich.. you foul the plug. no spark.

jowe, Your term was NO SPARK. the spark would still be generated by the coil or magneto only it could be shorting to ground through the plug. I've read enough of your posts to know you could have told Casey to pull the spark plug wire to check for spark.

The bike just died for a while for no apparent reason. perhaps misfires? Maybe, maybe not..

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/11935/11935/

" So this is the problem, The engine will start up fine cold, I can ride it for about 10 minutes, then If I come to a stop and let it idle it will die. Then when I try to start it back up again, it will not spark. "

Will not "spark"?

"I can ride it for as long as I want, (I have only gone about a max of 30 min) but I just have to keep it revving when I stop. "

Is it most likely this is this due to no spark?

"..... The engine also max&#8217;s out at about 23mph where I know that I can get it up to about 32-35 when I first start it up. So this leads me to think that it is not fireing all of the time&#8230;"

"So I am almost certian it is an electrical problem. "

Jim.. Do you agree with Casey's assessment?

I don't like getting into language details because they just make things confusing. But since its Sunday morning and i got nothing to do till my football game starts, i will comment on what you said here.

"..the spark would still be generated by the coil or magneto only it could be shorting to ground through the plug. "

A spark is a particular thing. A high voltage discharge ionizes the air between two conductors and produces a visible spark. If that energy is, instead, conducted to ground through the plug body, a "spark" did not occur.. technically. :)

btw.. my conversation with you is all in fun.. i've got no desire to mince words or seriously argue about this.

But i am serious about deciphering the (often) hidden meanings of someone who may not be sure about why their bikes run poorly. People do the best they can to describe their problem and symptoms but sometimes they leave out important details or are misguided as far as what is really happening.

Joew, I just did not want Casey to start screwing with his carburator Trying to cure a no spark problem. one should always pull the plug wire to check for spark. If there is no spark, you have an elrctrical problem. I am not saying this for you. This is for Casey.

I have no problem with Casey's investigating his electrical / generator system.. If he takes it to the limit he's gonna be an expert as far as how all that stuff works before this is over..

I'm lazy and i wouldn't know squat about much of anything if my ignorance didn't point me in the wrong direction once in a while.. thats how i learn things i don't really want (or need) to know. :-)

Casey Lacourse /

You guys need to chill it doesnt matter. But thats for all the help, If you guys really want to help you can put the engine back together for me. :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account