Gear box oil looks like Creme

Justin Brownell /

today I was checking my gear box oil. And it was all cream colored and kind of frothy. I replaced it a week or so ago. I replaced it with ND-30 my bike called for ND-20 would the 10w differance do that? I didn't think it would really matter.

Re: Gear box oil looks like Creme

Jason Luther /

you probably have a blown seal, so gas and air from the crankcase is getting in there. or water is getting in somehow, like through a breather hole or something. but that seems improbable.-jason

It could mean water got in

Justin Brownell /

that sucks a big one. how would I ever find and fix that? man mopeds are a ton of work haha.

come on!, change the fluid and keep a eye on it,

easy sleazy

Justin Brownell /

"you probably have a blown seal"

where would that seal be? it was left out in the snow for about 8 hours. maybe that did it.

Jason Luther /

the crank seal, its a rubber gasket that goes around the crank shaft end. between the crankcase and the gear box. just change the fluid and see if it happens again. -jason

Jason Luther /

does it have a morini engine? i know there are little breather holes in the top of the crankcase, maybe enough snow got in there.

Justin Brownell /

it is a minarelli V1

do you think it was the oil at all? the 10w differance? because I can't seem to find 20w anywhere.

thanks

Justin

30W non-detergent is what you are supposed to put in most minarelli V1 engines.

You may have not gotten all the old oil out. Make sure you drain out all the old oil from the drain hole, and then sluch it out with a little fresh oil. Then fill to the fill line and check it in another week.

Justin Brownell /

sounds like a plan thanks guys.

Definately water in the oil. Change it and see if it gets like that again.

I had an old '64 El Camino with a 283 small block. One day my oil looked all creamy .. a couple people said i had a cracked head gasket or block.. obviously.

But it turned out to be something else. I had been dicking around with the air cleaner's hoses. Anyway, my crankcase was not being vented. (Some combustion gasses blow by the piston rings and get into the crankcase and need to get out.)

Since when you burn a gallon of gasoline you create about a gallon of water, i suppose this is what polluted the oil. After reinstalling the hoses and stuff, the oil cleaned itself.

Make sure you are using non-detergent oil.

In a four stroke engine the oil should be detergent type. The water that gets in the oil is kept in suspension until the oil heats up enough to vaporize and then is vented out the breather. In a gearbox, the oil never gets hot enough and the oil will stay in suspension until it looks like yellow brylcreme.

The source of the water is another question, but change the oil to non-detergent first. I would not thing the difference between 20w and 30w would make that much difference.

If you can't find non-detergent oil, go to w.w. grainger and use air compressor crankcase oil.

Good Oils to use after the repairs have been made.

Williamjordan Fissel /

If you are looking for a good straight 20w oil try Redline. I have an old Race-Prep Rickman Metisse Montesa 250 VR and the clutch requires 20w; anything heavier it slips and anything lighter it will burn up. I have been using Redline for a while in both the clutch(20w) and the gearbox(50w) and really like the stuff. It's all Motorex (Made in Switzerland) for two stroke oil.

Anyway, once you figure out the problem (I too feel it is likely either moisture or a bad seal) and make the necessary repairs give this stuff a try.

Re: Good Oils to use after the repairs have been m

Justin Brownell /

thanks. I still haven't gotten around to fixing anything. it seems so overwhelming. everytime I fix somthing another problem arises. in the spring I will do more.

I should get that gross oil otu though ill do that tomarrow.

thanks again for all your help

A guy rides up to a repair shop on his snowmobile, his mustache and beard covered in frost and ice. The mechanic looks at the sled and says, "Looks like you blew a seal." The guy replies,"No, no - that's just from the cold air - honest!"

We now return you to your regularly scheduled moped content.

Re: Good Oils to use after the repairs have been m

Jason Luther /

redline 2-stroke oil? or do they make a 20w?-jason

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account