Lots of Tomos Problems

Red Larsen /

My targa LX has alot of problems. First problem is slow acceleration. Second is a low top speed. Its been going around 25-30 mph with a bi-turbo pipe. 3rd, Its difficult to start, has to be choked every time and if i accelerate too fst it dies. Last problem is when i took of my exhaust to clean it there was like gas dripping out of my exhaust port which i find strange. This all happened rather suddenly. Have cleaned the carb several times and tightened head bolts to 10lbs of torque. Now im lost, Help.

Red

Re: Lots of Tomos Problems

sounds like a normal tomos to me. in all seriousness. all mine do those things. that's just how it is.

Timmy Southpark /

first off change the plug. I would clean/ replace air boxes, etc....

well.. gas dripping out the exhaust port? There might be a clue.

All the symptoms..slow acceleration and low top speed and hard starting could all point to a carburation problem.

The question is what did you do lately that may have caused the sudden change? Did this start since you refilled the tank or since something on the bike was repaired? Hopefully you might remember something.. That would narrow down the search.

Otherwise it seems that the engine is running very rich. If you did absolutely nothing fuel-related then perhaps something broke or went out of adjustment. Something like running with the choke partially closed might do this.

Take an hour or two off and go over everything .. check all cable adjustments, bolt tightness and all the other routine checks, especially as are related to the carburetor.

Don Pflueger /

what year lx? how many miles? how much compression does it have?

my first clue as to what your pribkem may be is that you have a bi-turbo exhaust, but you fail to mention whether or not the carb was upjetted. so, how many miles were put on this bike after the exhaust was installed? and what jet size are you using? this time of year, the air is cold and getting dense which means the engine runs leaner. and if it was never upjetted, you are running dangerously lean.

get some compression numbers. everything you have described relates to a worn piston and rings due to the fact that it has been running too lean.

as far as the gas dripping, that may be from the loss of compression and the engine not compressing the fuel/air mix correctly and burning off all the fuel. or the needle and seat in the carb are worn out and its leaking into the cylinder. or the plug could be bad as joe mentioned.

one thing you might want to check if your bike is 1997 or newer is the intake manifold bolts. they are prone to coming loose. and if so, would explain the hard starting as well.

so get the numbers i asked about and lets work from there.

hey don. credit where credit is due.. james mentioned the plug.. ( but i would have mentioned it if only i had thought of it! )

I see you are going on the premise that the problem got worse gradually over time whereas i'm assuming it happened suddenly.

I would like to know which is true and it'd be nice if Red tells us..

Don Pflueger /

sorry. i thought it was you who said that. OLDTIMERS ya know? its getting worse everyday. its either that or i need to stop thinking about all this stuff i have on my mind right now. business is too slow and i ned to find a job :(. anyway, i hope he lets us know too.

"This all happened rather suddenly."

Red Larsen /
red OP

yeah it all happened in one day. The plug is new. My fuel line has a fuel filter and it had started to leak so i put in a new one. Another thing is that i had used glue to repai a side fairing and when the filter started to leak it mixed with the gas and im afraid it may have gotton into the line and gotton stuck in the carb. It got sticky and i couldnt get it off so if its in the carb its a problem. By the way its a 2001 and i dont know the compression because im unsure of how to measure it.

-Red

Don Pflueger /

you need to buy a compression tester or have an automotive repair shop or lawn mower shop test it for you. glue could be a problem, but i doubt you got that much into the carb. and you said you cleaned the carb.

my bet is on the loose intake manifold, or a loss of compression from being underjetted. maybe the oil pump failed? we're not going to be able to help much without any compression numbers and info to work with. its all just guesses right now.

Timmy Southpark /

how much is a compression tester? i need one.

Red Larsen /
red OP

Ok, ill have to pick one up, it could be the oil pump because latetly my oil never seems to go down.

-Red

Timmy Southpark /

i would be careful then, if your bikes not getting the right amount of oil it could seize up.

Don Pflueger /

the last time i bought one, i got it from sears for about $30.

Don Pflueger /

well, if it is the pump, its already scored the piston and its time for a new top end. but, get compression numbers, check the intake and head bolts, make sure you have a #55 or #56 jet in the carb, and if you feel like it drop the exhaust pipe and look up into the exhaust port to see if its clean, and while doing that roll the engine over and look at the piston side wall for scratch marks.

My tomos has lousy acceleration as well. But is easy to start and has a good top speed. (beat a Motobecane belt drive and a puch Magnum II down hill) But it has sucky acceleration. Any ideas? Im gonna try a normal rear sprocket instead of the tiny one on there.

Thanks Harry

Chainged the tranny oil and it is better but still has sucky acceleration. Any ideas? Im gonna try a bigger rear sprocket.

you could try that. or you could put an exhuast on it. that will give you better performance in general.

Harry, if your moped ever suddenly stopped while you were riding it then you most likely had a soft seize and that is why you have lousy acceleration.

This happened to me so I bought the Airsal 70cc engine.

When I took out the old piston it had 2 smear marks on the top side - intake side; not bottom exhaust side.

If you plan on making a purchase, I recommend you purchase a complete kit with carb, exhaust, and piston/cylinder.

Good luck and "Ride riders ride!"

Danny Emerson /

take your pipe off and blow it out its worked for me before

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account