Need help, cant find problem- tomos

I have a 1996 Tomos targa lx, it has an A35 engine with CDI. A while ago i rode around for a while and when i tried to start it up again it wouldnt start. After that there was a sound as if air was hissing out of the cylinder every time i tried to start it. So i figured i had blown a head gasket or pistion ring and didnt have enough compression, so instead of buying new parts i just decided to spend a little more money and i bought an airsal kit. I installed the airsal kit correctly and the hissing is gone..but my ped still wont start. I have compression, i have gas getting into the carb and then into the cylinder, and i have spark. So what could my problem be? I think its either the timing for the spark, if this is the case how do i check to make sure the timing is right? Or i think maybe i ruined a part inside my engine?, but i can still pedal forward and backwards and the piston does move up and down in the cylinder the proper way. Anyone know what it could be? Pls help...And just to avoid these suggestions i know that the problem is NOT: reed valve or piston installed incorrectly, clogged carb, faulty spark plug.

thanx everyone

Re: Need help, cant find problem- tomos

Sorry............if you are SURE you installed the piston CORRECTLY(usually arrow down toward exhaust) and you have put an induction timing light on it and checked for spark thru the plug, and the gas is getting thru the carb to wet the spark plug AND YOU HAVE AT LEAST 100 LBS. OF COMPRESSION and you KNOW the crankseals aren't blown allowing outside air to weaken any fuel mixture..............then I can't suggest a problem. don-ohio (:^)

Don Pflueger /

did you blow a crankseal?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomos_Moped_Repair_How_To This a good site for anyone owning a Tomos

hmmm. seems like there is something missing there.

Il do a better compression check tomorrow to get the exact psi. How would i know if i blew a crankseal? Which gasket is that exactly?

Il do a better compression check tomorrow to get the exact psi. How would i know if i blew a crankseal? Which gasket is that exactly?

Don Pflueger /

its the black rubber seal on the end of the crankshaft underneath the stator. there isnt always a visible way to tell. but sometimes you might see an oily residue inside the flywhel on the engine case near the crankshaft.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account