solex 4600

i recently acquired 2 solex 4600 and need to know the fuel mix ratio for these peds. help me someone!

Re: solex 4600

Don Pflueger /

use 40:1

you can get parts at www.velocruz.com. i have a 1975 4600 chasis for sale if you need any parts.

i'm going to have to rob parts from one to make sure the other one will run. if they both run i'm going to need some handlebar controls as one has apparantely fell or been dumped while riding. if you have any of these parts i'd be interested. thanks Jim

Don Pflueger /

i dont. all i have is the chasis which is basically just a bicycle. no lights, controls, engine, or wire harness.

Jim. I am also working on a 4600 made sometime in the 1960's the bike is all there, but needs a lot of TLC. Here is a picture of it, just after I brought it home. I'm working on the engine first, then I'll worry about the rest of it. I also have a 1981 Indian moped and a honda express. Good luck on your project. Tom

1130883042_the_puzzle_038.jpg

Hi tom,

Your bike is actually a model 4600 V2 from 1975-76. That same 14-3-1966 date you see on the motor is cast into every cyclomoteur 3800, which is what the 4600 uses. It is not the date of manufacture, but the date of approval of that motor type. Many people believe they own a 1966 Solex.

Yours was sold in the Midwest, probably Ohio, by BJ around 1975-76 when Motobecane took over VeloSolex and he no longer had the dealer rights, hence the Road Runner stickers on the frame. He also sold Motobecanes like this. see attachment.

The brake levers on yours don't appear to be the original Magura levers. I don't think the taillight is original either, although a similar taillight was used on the 4600 V3 1977-78.

There should be seven digit serial numbers _stamped_ into the top rear of the motor and on the right side of the frame near the steering tube. If you let me know those numbers, I can tell you more precisely the date of manufacture, but it is definitely from 1975-76.

For info on the three 4600 versions, go to:

http://cyclo60.myouebe.net/VideosAudios/SolexNewsletter_ete_05.pdf where you'll find an article I've written about them and http://cyclo60.myouebe.net/4600/4600en.asp where you'll see that article on a 4600 page that I've been updating. If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Solexly, Brian

1130886402_road_runner_motobecane.jpg

Hey Brian.I've just kind of been wondering,how is it that you know SO MUCH about Solexs?I don't think I've ever known anyone that knows as much about anything,as you know about the Solex.I'm still learning about mine,but you seem to know everything about every Solex that was ever made.I am totally amazed.By the way,mine is still running great.I'm riding it a lot more now that the weather has cooled off some.It's turned out to be more enjoyable than my Tomos.Jerry.

Thanks for the kind words Jerry.

I read _a lot_, in both French and English. I learn a lot while helping people translate their French Solex sites into English. I'm working on Solexes all the time, mine and other peoples', and Solexists from around the country send me motors to rebuild/repair. I have many Solex friends and contacts around the world: in France, England, Germany, Slovakia, Japan, Canada...

I keep records of as many peoples' Solexes as I can. I participate in several Solex forums, English and French, where I not only answer questions, but ask them, too.

Most of the mechanics here work on many different kinds of mopeds. I only work on Solexes and that's all I know.

There is still plenty to learn, and I learn something new everyday. And, I just really like Solexes.

Glad to hear that your new S 3800 is running well and that you enjoy it more than your Tomos.

Think I'll go out for a late night Solex cruise on one of my old S 3800s.

Solexly, BrianSoleX

http://cyclo60.myouebe.net/Technique/45cc.asp

http://cyclo60.myouebe.net/Bastille-Day.asp

1130908313_solexmaspeth_1.jpg

Geoff Hazelton /

That bike is a real Dixie Road Runner! That is the first "federalized" Solex. The headlight (6V minibike) and taillight (aftermarket honda 50) are correct for that version. I have the prototype that Bob Jones and Bob Smith worked out the bugs on. Yours should have a battery tray on the left chainstay. The controls are also correct, Japanese "Cherry" brand levers and a generic minibike throttle.

Brian, you need to talk to me about these.

PM me.

-Geoff

My information comes from BJ. That is a logo-stripped, modified _VeloSoleX_. He setup some Motobecanes the same way. see attachment.

1130971027_road_runner_motobecane.jpg

Please read the article entitled "An Original Solex Fan" in the attached newsletter.

Thanks Brian and Geoff for your information, it was very helpful. I've already ordered some parts from the info u gave me. As I stated before, the piston was siezed in the cylender pretty good. I used an old trick I have used on some other small engines. I removed the cylender and piston, poured PB blaster in the top, Heated the cylender a little to let the blaster go around the piston. then put a couple of ice cubes on the alum. piston. the alum shrinks more than the cast I believe. A few taps with a wooden hammer handle, the piston came right out the bottom. Cylender is in good shape, I ordered new piston and rings. I'll keep u informed of my progress. I'll call this method the "PB blaster cocktail" thanks again, Tom

Back in the "good old days",I used to spray R-12 on the piston.That would shrink it just enough to loosen it.How was I supposed to know that I was contributing to global warming?

Great tip, Tom. Definitely keep us updated with your progress, with photos if you can.

BrianSolex

1131225409_4600_v1_blu.jpg

Ooops, I made a mistake. That is _not_ a modified _4600 V2 from 1975-76_. It _is_ a modified _4600 V1 from 1974_. Sorry about that. Many thanks to Geoff at Temple of Speed for the correction.

BrianSolex

1131295597_4600_v1_blu.jpg

do you have a tire to fit this moped? 13/4 x 19 "

You can get tires at http://www.velocruz.com Please let me know if you need any help, either ordering the tire or with your Solex in general.

<Rickbrendan463@aol.com>

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account