Peugot 103

Richard Wisniewski /

I need a capasitor for my 103 the only problem is does anyone now the microfaret reading on these?? is it interchangeble with anyother models like a puch ot motobeacane???

thanx any suggestions are helpfull

rich

Re: Peugot 103

I do not know that much about electronics, but I've been told all condensors are about the same. Someone even said you could use one from an auto parts store designed for a car.

Richard Wisniewski /

well i know their measured in micrferets and i dunno the the rating of them

what ever they are measured in, they all do the exact same thing. they make the points not arch. I bet the voltage going to the ignition coil is about the same in every ped.

PS. I think you are the guy who emailed me about my 103sp. Your cady parts will not do me much good, all my mobies are 50v's. I may try to fix up my peugeot a little more, if I don't I will email you.

Richard Wisniewski /

I have used a puch maxi 2hp custom(my favorite moped) condensor and it didnt work. I think im going to try a one of the cady's condensors to see if it works.

any suggestions are welcomed

thanx

Condensers (capacitors) are two metal plates separated by a dielectric (non-conductor). The metal can is attached to one plate and a wire to the other. Since ignition condensers do the same job regardless of the specific application they are built pretty much the same internally as far as specific materials and thickness of the "plates" (actually more like a thin metal foil).

The area (the number of square inches) of a capacitors plates has more to do with storage capability than anything else.. So, if you find a couple auto or motorcycle caps and the cans are the same size they will have about the same capacity. Tolerances on these cheap caps is probably about 50% + or - so there's even more leeway when choosing.

The primary job of the cap is not to prevent arcing of the points. The main job is to quickly absorb electricity from the coil which speeds up the collapse of the magnetic field which then can produce a more powerful, higher voltage spark. The very thiin wires in the coil are slow because they have lots of resitance. A capacitor can release and absorb energy very fast, as evidenced by the dangerous hot fat spark which flashes if you short a charged cap with a screwdriver.

Running without a condenser or with a broken one can appear to cause all sorts of problems from a fouled plug to misfires to other weaknesses in the ignition.. all symptoms of a weak spark.

"Microfarad"

Named for Michael Faraday, the English physicist

He looks really smart(pic)

1101953144_faraday.gif

got pics

Richard Wisniewski /

the pic of the screw driver their are 2 wires a white and black these go to the condensor?- i have a buddy with one for this the same bike and it would arc very slighty like TINY whiteish blue spark. then i figured it was the point gap so i gapped the bastered to .015'' and it would only arc once in while but the acr was solid. any suggetions???

the other bike you see in those pics is a 76 maxi 1 speed 2hp custom(Canadian version???) and a killer keystone.

i also have a honda pa II, cady,mand anothe maxi -normal like the american version.

rich

1101961288_cover.jpg

Re: got pics

Richard Wisniewski /

sorry i dunno how to attach them all

1101962697_condensor.jpg

Richard Wisniewski /

1101962795_hpim0057.jpg

Richard Wisniewski /

1101962834_other_side.jpg

Dave Reisner /

On my Peugeot 102 and 104 the capacitor has two black wires. One goes directly to the ignition coil, the other one goes to the contact breakerpoints.

Your picture is rather blurry, but the pinkish wire should go to the ignition coil and the black one coming from the contact breaker points should be attached to your capacitor too.

I have a new condenser for that lind of stator, if you are interested.

go get one

they have these in stock at mopedwarehouse

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/aa052502a.htm A Avery good description of how a point ignition system works

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account