sounds like valves tapping

when my 2000 targa lx is idleing and even when im in motion it sounds like the valves aare tapping which is kinda weird cuz its a moped any info to help fix this is greatly appreciated. higher octane gas a possible solution?

sounds like valves tapping

What valves would that be?

Re: sounds like valves tapping

Bobby Smith /

thats why i said its kinda funny saying the valves arer tapping is the best way to describe the sound

Do you have the correct spark plug in your bike?

Chain slap? Drive chain too loose?

Don Pflueger /

two things.

the cylinder head may have so much carbon built up on it that the piston is hitting it.

or

you have the wrong spark plug and its too long and hitting the piston.

other than that you may have a bad upper rod bearing.

yes actually I have this same problem on a lx I've been working on. think it might be in the transmission but I'm not sure. it makes like a cranking sound kinda odd.

Bobby Smith /

i got the plug from a moped shop so i dont think its the plug but possibly the bearing which i was hoping it wasnt. how much do they cost and r they a pain to put in?

The make a engine stethescope to isolate engine noises.. cheapo-tool stors have cheapo-ones for a couple bucks. Its just some plastic tubing and ear plugs.

Try cutting a piece of small plastic tubing a few feet long, stick one end in your ear and move the other end around the engine block, head, sprocket etc and narrow down where the ticking is coming from.

Don Pflueger /

depends on whether its a brass bushing or a needle bearing. brass bushings need to be pressed in place.

Don Pflueger /

you can hold a screwdriver in your hand with your thumb and forefinger cupped at the top to create a seal on your ear, then place the blade against various parts of the engine. this works just like a stethescope.

sounds like a bad crank bearing. My ds 100 had the same problem. the bearing was so bad it actually gave the bike more compression but would lock up time to time. So i replaced the motor with a good used motor for 100 bucks. The piston got chewed up and so did the cylnder head but the cylnder itself is mint.

Oh yeah and my tomos has a reedy sound at full throttle and i have determind it to be my alunium side covers vibrating

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

I dont know if you have a reed valve but the stethascope will help you locate the noise.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account