Speedo doesnt work

The speedometer on my puch maxi doesnt work. I took it off and it looks pretty clean. What are somethings that i should check?

The odometer seems to work for some reason.

Re: Speedo doesnt work

I just replaced (not 20 minutes ago) a speedometer on a Maxi that had the same symptoms - odometer worked fine, speedo didn't work. I can't see any way to access the speedo works, so I bought one on eBay for $20. Took 10 minutes to install. Works great (and only 89 mi on the odometer). I didn't need to do anything to the cable or the drive unit on the front wheel.

See Ya Moped Army /

Are you sure the speedo is the problem and not the drive unit at the wheel?

Mike Gleick /

Yeah im pretty sure its the speedo because when i rotatate the wheel it seems to turn the speedo cable perfectly

Alls you need to do to check to see what the problem is, is take the speedometer cable out of the wheel thing, and rotate the inside of the cable with a drill and see if the speedometer works. And if that doesn't work, take the cable off completely and see if both ends will rotate when you turn the one side. It could just be a problem with the cable, or the thing down by the wheel.

Both Mike and Dave said the odometer works..

Since this thread started i was trying to picture a situation where that could happen.. only thing i can think of is that the speedometer needle is stuck on something.. or the needle is detached from it's little ccenter pin.

Mike Gleick /

Yeah ive already tried testing the vdo and that spins the cable fine. The cable itself spins fine on both ends so that leaves me to beleive that its in the speedometer unit itself. Like mentiioned above it must be a studck or broken neddle type of problem. Im going to look at it more and see if there is any way of accessing the inside without breaking it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account