a beer can and gasket maker doesnt work

my jawa x-30 started but blew the gasket maker and the can it had ran for one min then it turned off this pissed me off i whana know where i could get a head gasket does any one out their know please tell me asap

a beer can and gasket maker doesnt work

What is a gasket maker?

Re: a beer can and gasket maker doesnt work

John Joedicke /

A little housewife that lives down the street. No- It is just RTV that will blow out if it hasn't cured for at least 24 hours. Go to an autoparts store and get the right stuff to make your gasket. Do you actually know how thick you need it? Maybe the head is warped. Do Jawas even use a gasket?

no the head is not warped and i did let it cure for24

what is the right stuff?>

Don Pflueger /

get a sheet of 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. fasten it to something very flat, like a pane of glass. then set the head on it and go in circular motions ob the sandpaper until all the surface areas of the crush band look consistant. finish off with 2000 grit sandpaper in the same manner. just make sure that you keep an even pressure on the head as you do this. if you dont, the crush band will not sit evenly on the cylinder. wash the head with warm soapy water, dry it, then reassemble it on the cylinder. torque the head bolts to 10 ft/lbs. you wont need a head gasket or rtv sealant (which i would never use) to seal the head. plus your compression will go up some. if it still leaks, then you need to repeat this procedure on the cylinder. when done, and everything is sealed up, do a plug chop cuz i have a feeling your running a little lean which caused the head to warp to begin with.

you see its jawa x-30 and the piston sleve sticks out at the top of the block and the cylinder head has a round indatationsso the cylinder head would have to be sealed around the sleve at the top but im trying to find out if would a carbord would work?

Matthew Westberg /

A useful trick for making sure you have as even pressure as possible: lay the sandpaper on one side of a good sized block of wood (like a six-inch length of 2x4, say), fold the edges up around the sides of the board and staple the sandpaper to the block on the sides (so you don't have staples sticking out of your sandpaper surface! haha.).

You get a nice block to sand with that allows you to apply pressure very evenly. Just wear some cheap gloves so you don'tsand your fingertips off with the grit on the folded up side bits. ;)

Matthew Westberg /

Cardboard would probably make the worst head gasket EVER.

Don Pflueger /

card board wont work

Don Pflueger /

wood isnt as flat and smooth as glass is.

so u want me to sand the bottom of the cylinder head ?

Don Pflueger /

thats how you have to do it to get it flat again. but do not use wood because the grain makes it uneven and it wont work right.

Never EVER EVER use RTV silicone as a head gasket. its not meant to handle pressure. and only gums things up.

Listen to master don, he is most wise in the ways of the moped.

I been here long enough to take nothing for granted.. like are all your head bolts and nuts in perfect shape or do you imagine having 3 out of 4 is enough? Are you using a torque wrench and is the head otherwise properly mounted?

Beyond all the other possible things not mentioned as far as having a leak, a warped or dented head is possible. Just get a piece of glass, wet it and wet a new sheet of #400 or #600 wet/dry sandpaper and lay it on the glass. Gently rub the flat side of the head in a circular motion for a few seconds.

Wipe it clean, hold it to the light at an angle and look for shiny spots.. If the head is flat there should be an even sanding marks over the ENTIRE surface.. look closely.

If any spots were not touched by the sandpaper, you need to take some metal off the head until it's truely flat. Use the same method but start with something like #220 grip paper and work up to #400 .. Go slow and check often. Stop sanding as soon as possible.

Matthew Westberg /

Whoops, sorry don, I just kinda skimmed that post. Yeah glass would be much better than a woodblock, if you've got a good way of fastening it on.

Actually, you just reminded of one guy I knew who used a metal plate he glued to a wood block for that sort of thing.

Don Pflueger /

lol. noone listens to me.

Matthew Westberg /

it's funny how the names of so many older respected guys here 'don' in them. ;)

no the head is not warped i just need a way of sealing the head so the jawa could have compression

And you would know this how . . .?

i checked it with a ruler and a gage it was perfectly fine all i need to do is find a way to seal the compression

OK if you need to take a few thousanths off a cylnder head dont use a file or sand paper. Do it properly and use a milling machene. Most schools should have one even if antique the machene will give you a perfect shave. Or a motorcycle shop would do it for 5 bucks. quick 10 minute job

Don Pflueger /

motorcycle shops charge alot more than $5. the setup time costs more than that. most shops charge as much as $65 an hour. i charge $45.

Jawa Mopeds do not have cylinder head gaskets. The cast iron barrel liner protrudes past the end of the barrel into a recess in the head, so flattening the head as described will not help. There is no point flattening the top of the liner since that will not be warped. Having the seating surface machined should help but it needs to be done right with the head clamped down to the machine properly or it could make things worse.

Gasket goo or instant gasket (silicon) wont do anything. Maybe if the head is not warped too badly a proper hardening gasket sealant used very thinly might help.

Early Jawas had a decompressor valve in the middle of the head, is that seating properly & not bieng held open by the cable? Is the little o ring between head & barrel in place & intact?

Don Pflueger /

you are the jawa expert here jawamoped.if i knew it had a lip so to speak above the cylinder, i would have offered much different advice other than just some general info. i was looking at your profile and your comment portion brought back some memories. back in 1978, 79, or 80, i raced a '72 cz125 and a '73/4 cz250. they were remarkable bikes and were very fast. they were awkward as hell to ride tho. kickstart on the left side, 4 speed shifter on the right side, and the 92 tooth rear sprockets were huge. the rectangle shaped gas tanks were the most uncomfortable things in the world. but these bikes kept up with, or were faster than the jap bikes of that era. good memories.

i when i was sanding i look on the head and the seat had a big pit in it and i going to get a new one cause the head also has pits and hole's in it yes holes!!!!!!! but after that i let u guy know how fast im going to go with out brakes lol burn out's

Glad to meet you Donp.

Along with my mopeds, I built a modified CZ125 although a "modern" one from 1986, see picture, and a 1977 CZ250 twin, among others.

Sorry getting a bit off the point of mopeds.

1102282344_009_16.jpg

Don Pflueger /

man, that bike doesnt look anything like mine did lol.

John Joedicke /

Beauty bike. Also one great web site you have created, added to my favourites.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account