1980 Honda Express troubles.....

I got a 1980 honda express for free and some friends and I have been wrenching on it for two days now. We cleaned the carb, attached an air filter, fixed the oil pump, and we can get it to start up about once for every 20 tries. We've adjusted the carb every which way and can't find a good adjustment that it runs consistently on. When it does run, it will run for a minute and then cut out. Also, it cuts out when the throttle is wide open. Does anyone have an idea what we can do to make it start and run consistently?

Re: 1980 Honda Express troubles.....

I've got one and I found the air filter to be real sensitive. Try running it without the air filter and see what that does for you. Do a finger plug compression check with the spark plug out too...it's and old scoot so the rings might be worn.

Peter Chudzik /

We had the thing running without the air filter all day yesterday, we just added it on today. Without the filter it got too much air, despite any adjustments made to the carb, and stalled out after only a short time. The only way it would stay running for longer than 30 seconds was restricting the intake with my thumb or duct tape.

How do I do a finger plug compression check? And by rings do you mean piston rings? Thank you very much for your help.

Just take the plug out, hold you finger over the hole, and have someone kick the starter a few times...if it blows your finger off the hole the compression is probably good (not accurate but general). My honda runs better without the airfilter, it's almost a shame to have to put one on.

I got a junked express that was doing much the same thing. The only way that I managed to get it running was to play with the choke a LOT.

I had the bike up on it's center stand and it would occasionally start when choked, but when it did, it would not idle and rev right on up. If I backed off the choke, it would die, but gradualy it became less and less sensative. My guess is that it was just cleaning out its carb, so be persistent.

Not that any of this matters now that the starter spring is broken...

HTH

Richard Child /

On my 80 Express I had to clean and coat the gas tank and clean the carb good Also put in new rings and remove all the built up carbon in cylinder and cook the muffler in a gas grill. Now it runs great.

cookin' my muffler seemed to help too.

Peter Chudzik /

Sounds kind of weird. Can someone explain how to do that and the logic behind it?

Richard Child /

Use an old gas grill you don't use for cooking for a couple of hours. It will burn out the carbon thats inside of the muffler.

Leon Swarmer /

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=6&i=5035&t=5035

This is Jax 184's guide and it is good, read it..

Also make sure your feul is flowing through the petcock correctly.both on run and reserve.

good point.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account