puch condenser on motobecane?

I recently bought a motobecane from a guy who told me that it would run with just a cleaning. Well, come to find out the piston was seized, so I had to repalce the whole top end. Luckily I found an NOS top end on ebay really cheap. After getting that in, I found I had no spark. I went through hell to get the flywheel off, and found 2 more surprises. I first noticed that the coils were all brand new, so the last guy must have repalced them. I quickly found out that he never even set the point, which wasn't even opening. After playing with that for 15 minutes and wondering why in the hell I was getting no spark but the horn made noise, I realized that the idiot never put a condenser in!

So after a long story, my question is: I have a good condenser from my old Puch Maxi here, so can I use this in it? I looked on themopedjunkyard.com and they're freaking like $10 plus $5 for shipping. Also, where do I connect the terminal of the condenser? I know that the case gets grounded, but where does the wire connect to?

Thanks

Re: puch condenser on motobecane?

Jason Luther /

it _should_ work. but i have never seen motobecane. just check the uF rating (it says on the back) with a motobecane manual. i think they are all the same. the wire solders to the button on top of the condenser. if all else fails check ikes bikes. hes really cheap and fast (in a good way). jason

Timmy Southpark /

I would just put a new condenser on, unless the puch one is new.

Well, I just found out there is a condenser on it! There's a place to mount it on the inside behind the coil, but I just found that there's another place to mount it, on the outside of the case, and that's where it is. After playing with the wiring, I finally got it to spark with a spare plug on the outside. Now I have to change the plug in the head because that's fouled, and then just get my petcock to stop leaking, and tune the carb and this baby should be as good as new.

Jason Luther /

cool beans

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account