how many head gaskets?

How does one determine the # of head gaskets needed between the head and the cylinder?

Re: how many head gaskets?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

On automobiles I've never seen but one due to compressuion lossnot sure about others.

John Joedicke /

One or none would be a good answer.........thickness is what you want in .000"

I've read that it's common to stack them in mopeds. 4 gaskets are currently installed behind the head I'm replacing.

See Ya Moped Army /

On Puch mopeds, the number of gaskets is related to the hp of the motor. Puch used multiple thickness head gaskets to reduce the hp/speed on mopeds headed for the US market.

Don Pflueger /

4? thats just plain stupid. it would be low on compression due to the extra size in the combustion chamber plus it would be more liable to leak with that many gaskets.

i ve taken a part a few puchs that had a bunch of those thin aluminum gaskets stacked together

Jason Luther /

yeah, on puchs remove all but one of those thin gaskets. i think the one horse model has one really thick gasket. in that case make a new one out of aluminum flashing from a hardware store.-jason

or use a beer can

Justin Brownell /

I used a cereal box on my ped. seems to be working great. though I may try the beer can method.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

i used a ceral box in a pinch but then when i tried to put areal one one, the box had fused to the cylinder and the head. it was a pain in the ass to get all of the box off.

Jason Luther /

plus a cereal box is too thick. about .02" ? i like the beer can idea.

Don Pflueger /

i think i'd rather spend the $1.50 and just get an actual head gasket.

Jason Luther /

but then your ped wont smell like malted hoppes

What should I start with one gasket when I install the new head? How do I determine whether or not things are working properly?

Thanks!

Jason Luther /

multiple gaskets were only added to give the engines less compression, and therefor less power so they could legally sell them in the united states. you want the thinnest gasket you can get. as long as you tighten the head down properly, a leaky gasket is the least of your worries. if youre concerned its leaking, spray carb cleaner on the gasket area while the motor is running, and if the motor stumbles at all, you know its leaking.-jason

Any reason not to reuse gaskets (the thin metal type)?

Jason Luther /

are you talking about a puch motor with the 4 super thin gaskets? use only one. unless they are really bent up, you can reuse them.

Thanks Jason.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

It is important to torque the head in the proper pattern to prevent warping.I don't understand using a tin beer can for a gasket when the coefficent ofexpansion for tin and aluminum are different. any one too broke to spend a couple of bucks for a real gasket probaly mixes used automobile oil with his gas and then disses his bike when the engine locks up.

on my jawax30 im trying to make a head gasket the compression gage i got likeclose to 100 is that good and im trying a beer can but it seems to crack and make me loose alot of compression any idears people please help me

John Joedicke /

Get some brass or aluminium shim material from a auto parts supplier and cut your own.

im using a beer can come on its thanks giving like any auto place is open

and i am using aluminium a can is

how would i know oe how much compression do i need?

Don Pflueger /

you want to see 120 or higher. spend the $1.50 or so and order a real gasket.

i dont know where to get the head gasket for my jawa x-30 i already asked around no has it but i got 125psi of compression now

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account