Suzuki FA50 Questions

I just recently acquired an FA50 moped. Im not completely new to the subject, but relatively. I have had some Vespas in the past. ANywho, here's my deal.

The bike I have is far from complete, but what I have thought is complete enough to run. The bike is missing what I think to be as the fuel switch, or 'petcock.' Is it true that there is a fuel pump in there? Also, is there any way I can run my bike without that being there? (ie, run a line straight from the tank to the carb) Also, is it safe to run without an exaust, or will this kill my motor? it has two busted off bolts where the exaust bolts on. I plan on pulling the head and having it machined so I can put new bolts in there. Okay, any help would be awesome. Thanks guys

Re: Suzuki FA50 Questions

Use the search feature for a lot of quick information, but take your time to do a thorough repair job and you'll have a nice scooter. I'd say the petcock/fuel pump is necessary or you'll have gas drain out all over the ground.

Also check the resource section of this forum.

OK, yes there is a petcock, you can only cannect the fiel to the carb to fill up the carb..... see.....theres 3 setting on a petcock, Pri,Res,On.....you want it on ON....Res is reserve...and Pri is to fill the carb,when you put your fuel directly to the carb its gonna be pooring gas out the line, and you dont want that, you want a flow that you can only get on a petcock in the ON position... also the petcock connects the fuel AND THE LINE FOR AIR.....how will you get air into the tank to puch out the gas?

second answer.... take a flat head, about the size as a muffflet exhaust bolt hole, bang the flathead with a hammer into the broken bolt, it will make a new head to to it and you can twist it out like its a flat head screw..... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, but its worth a try......

if you need anyparts, tell me and ill email a few people i know, or if you want, there is a place online where u can buy NEW FACTORY PARTS....... they cost more though, i think a petcock is like 20 or 30 dollars at the website.

actually the petckock is 46 bucks.

ANSWER 3: it wil not hurt yourmotor one bit without a muffler, but if you get something like mud or something in the bottom or sand, you could be risking alot......you should just buy a muffler ALSO I KNOW THIS FROM EXpIERIENCE, IT WILL BE NOISY AS HELL,! ITS SO LOUD WITHOUT A MUFFLER , THAT IT RUMBLES YOUR HEART AND SOUNDS LIKE SHIT. :-)

no Zach- you need a muffler

you need back pressure to keep the gas int he cylinder- if you dont have an exhaust, you can sieze your engine

nick

Hey everyone, thanks for the help thus far. As soon as I get the chance, I'll pull the head and see if I can get those damn bolts out, haha. As far as a petcock goes, can anyone point me to where to get a used one? I cant say I have the funds for a used one. Also, has anyone been able to figure out a way to run it witout one? From what I understand It'll just pour in and flood the carb without one. Okay, thanks everyone for the help

Search ebay

look on ebay, ask around, i know one just sold on ebay....i think for 14 bucks, with some brakes for it, i have run mine without a muffler for about 10 min, just to see if the moped ran....

There were a couple of mufflers until recently, so surely there will be more to come. Now that winter is arriving, you'll have time to make a proper project of this and have a great scooter come spring.

why cant u ride during winter?

Because I don't live in Florida. But, I do ride something bigger than my 50cc in winter...a 150cc scooter with more protection from the elements.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account