Polini/V1 ticking diagnosis

I installed a Polini 81cc kit on my General 5 star w/ a Minarelli V1 last weekend. It went together w/ no problems but has a "ticking" noise when running. Its not the piston hitting the head and runs really well, I think i'm doing everything right as far as the break-in. But this noise is driving me nuts...its like a vibration but i cannot find it, or pinpoint exactly where it coming from. Anyways i'm planning on putting some time in this weekend to diagnose and fix it but i figured ,maybe you all had some ideas as to what it may be beforehand. Thanks alot..

-Pat

Re: Polini/V1 ticking diagnosis

Someone help. This was driving me nuts also. We could not figure it out.

It is most likely 'piston slap'. Run the very best top grade 2 stroke oil and that should help.

whats "piston slap"? by top grade you mean reg. or synthetic?

thanks...

Piston slap is when the rings 'slap' or rattle while the motor is running, causing a ticking or click. It is not harmful to the motor, but can be a little noisy.

By top grade I mean the best quality racing 2-stroke you can find, which will be a synthetic, such as Motul, Bardahl and Bel-Ray. Go to a local motorcycle shop and they'll have it. Really good oil will not only reduce piston slap, reduce smoke, but create less ring wear, with better lubrication and performance.

ok...thanks for the info, i've been stressin trying to figure out whats up w/ my new kit....i'll def. give it a try..

-Pat

Pat, May I ask where you bought your V1 speed kit? thanks

I was under the assumption that to break in kits and engines you should not use synthetic. It lubricates too well, and therefore does ever truly "break in" the kit or the engine. Am I wrong?

I've heard of that, but I don't know about the validity. You can still get good quality 2-stroke, as a non-synthetic, such as ProHonda GN-2. If at all possible don't buy your oil at gas stations and quikie marts.

i'm def. gonna pick up that ProHonda GN-2 tonight....it sucks its getting cold here so i don't have much more time to break this kit in before winter....i got the kit from Angelo

yeah i'm pretty much the worst as far as the whole quikie mart oil thing...i've even bought it at 99 cent store...thats shitty

Fede Berkelaar /

I have a different theory about your ticking noise. It's very possible that your engine is running with too high compression ratio.

If you installed the 81cc kit (what bore is is anyway?) with the original cylinder head, your C.R. should be around 14:1 which is way too high.

Cylinder kits over 75 cc should be installed with an appropiate cylinder head with a bigger combustion chamber to work properly.

Anyway, you may try the following:

Install 2 or even 3 cylinder base gaskets, this way the resulting C.R. and it will work best, you will experience a higher top speed also.

federico..

i'll give that a try, thanks for the info....

I have a different theory also.........could the plastic fan blower be contacting the fan shroud? Could the fan blower wheel be coming apart? Could the magneto be loose and vibrating some? don-ohio

It's not the fan or the shroud. I had him take it off and it still made the noise. Good guess though Don.

yeah, i dont think it's the fan or magneto though i will def. look again. This weekend should lend me some time to try adding another base gasket and testing that theory too...i'll post with some results...

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx /

i heard a tomos with a kit that did the same thing. and his magneto was loose and rattling making a clicking vibration

My Sachs 504 motor has made a 'clicking' noise from day one, at 150 miles, and has run for another 13,000 with that same noise.

Where can I buy one of these 'clicking' things?

I would like my Vespa Bravo to go 13K without any problems.

I never said there weren't any problems, I'm just saying that it clicked the whole time, and that the clicking in itself was never the cause of a problem.

My bike is running really great, I dont think it's effecting the performance at all....but it is annoying.

Ben Van Zoest /

You went up 30 cc did u up the carburatoer as well?

yeah a Dellorto 15.15,,,but it hink i may go bigger after the kit is broken in

As i read this thread i wondered what kind of shape was the bottom end in just before the kit? Did you blow or seize a piston or did something else happen? Maybe it just has lots of miles on it?

When you double the power of an engine the force on the bearings is multiplied by four time. So, unless your bearings were in perfect shape before the kit you might be listening to bearing damage/slop that already existed before the kit but was unnoticable.

One way to check is to remove the head, bolt the cylinder back down..

Turn the piston around and just slightly beyond TDC. (At this point the crank/rod/piston are 'stretched out' )

Now hit the top of the piston with the heel of your hand. If you hear a "click" you are listening to excess bearing clearance somewhere in the bottom end..

Ben Van Zoest /

I once had a 'ticking' noise from the speedo/odo worm gear or whatever on the frontwheel are you sure it's the engine?

Revving on the kickstand with rear brake set do you hear the ticking?

the V1 was NOS about 4 months ago...i've put about 350 miles on it before the kit...i will check out you suggestion though..thanks for the info

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account