1978 honda hobbit upgrades, part number question

so i'm trying to flesh out some ideas for what i want to do to the hobbit over winter season, browsing partsfish.com for some replacement parts that i need; they seem to have a decent enough selection

but their sales team doesnt seem very responsive to e-mail queries about part numbers, so i was hoping someone here could help me out, the only manual that i have seen for the hobbit is the 1983 model and the part numbers do not match up with my 1978

so a couple of questions

(1) i am trying to replace the plastic floor panels that cover the top of the engine, they look like this,

the only problem is that they have three different side panels listed in the parts fish database,

does anyone know which of these three parts corresponds to the white colour ?? i know that the floor panels were available in at least white, black, red, and yellow, and the white ones are the only ones that reallly match on the 78s...

(2) i was just browsing through the parts catalog and i see that there is a long seat sitting in there !!

but this seems a bit confusing to me, i have never seen a 1978 hobbit with a long seat

but it is listed in the catalog, clearly stated for the 1978 honda hobbit 20mph moped.

is this a mistake on their part or is it actually possible to put a long seat on the 78 hobbit frame without modification ?? like there was some other variant of the hobbit in europe or something that came with a long seat ??

it would be cool to put a long seat on the hobbit but i dont want to go through the trouble of buying one or hunting one down if it turns out not to actually fit...

(hope these pictures came out properly, i have never tried to post photos to the forum)

and another more general performance enhancement question,

(3) so you can theoretically improve the top speed of the 20mph hobbit pa50-i by replacing its stock variator plate with one from a pa50-ii 30mph bike. right on. but does anyone know if you should put the weights from a 30mph pa50-ii bike in also, or can you use the existing pa50-i weights ?? are they the same, just a different variator plate ?? i know that there was some discussion about hobbit variator weight modification in the forums a long time ago but i read it, and it didnt really give me a conclusive answer either way...

thanks for the help !!

Re: 1978 honda hobbit upgrades, part number questi

bump come on guys surely someone else is into hobbits; i tried so hard with the graphics and everything :)

1. I have a couple yellow PA50 IIs. Floor panels, white, have no part numbers so i can't help you with that. The plastic side panels have no part numbers either.. Keep hammering them with e-mails ..

2. I remember some safety restrictions against having 2 riders on a moped.. at least some States don't allow it. So, the reason you never see a long seat may be due to import restrictions.

As far as i know, the PA50 I and Pa50 II frames are identical so a long seat that fits a 1978 PA50I should bolt on.

3. The PA50 I front variator pulley does not close as far as does the PA50 II variator .. the curved ramp plate that the weights ride on has less of a curve. A couple of variator mods (found in the archives here and in the Performance Tuning forum) can improve top speed by a couple MPH.

The weights are thrown out by centrifugal force at some RPM.

A heavier weight will overcome the resistance/pressure at a lower RPM than a lighter weight will. So, a heavier weight will "shift" into a higher gear at a lower RPM.

Select weights that suit your terrain and riding preferences. For instance, if there's a hill you have to climb and the bike shifts into a higher gear near the bottom of the hill and cannot accelerate, use lighter weights. This will prevent the bike from shifting up until a higher RPM is reached. (Peak torque is around 5,000 RPM on the PA50 II engine. Ideally, the combination of bike/rider weight, hill grade and variator weight will allow the engine to reach that RPM while climbing the hill.)

The stock weights work fine, imo. I have a pretty steep hill nearby and i get up it at 17 MPH on a stock bike. If i had no hills to climb and, instead, desired to get off the line faster on level roads, i might try lightening the weights a bit..

The PA50 II variator plate has two flat areas on the center, while the I has one. YOu need to file that out to make it work. Don't forget that the II also has a bigger reed valve and jet.

As for the side panel, I was told that "Your local honda dealer can help"

The colors changed by year, and I know that the 78 ones are white.

I gave up on the plastic ones and had a friend of mine with sheet metal experience fabricate a set. They just need a skim coat of filler and some paint, and that'll be it.

Plus they won't crack.

I have found that you really have to watch the year and model numbers closlely. The nameplate on the steering column will tell you the year and model. My unit is a '78 PA50II. I opened the variator to make the changes but found that there was nothing to be done on my unit as it was a 30mph unit. I took the weight retaining clips out as they seemed to limit the travel of the weights but I did not notice any improvement in speed.

I do not know if the plastic engine covers from a later model will fit the '78 units. I have bought a '78 microfiche but it has not arrived yet. If I can print out the pages I can send them to you.

Good luck

Mike

Here's one way to get a couple more (about 3) MPH top speed out of the '78 PA50 II with a minor variator modification..

I never liked the idea of cutting into the variator body to allow weights to move further out .. There's not a lot of metal to work with and the new ramps have to be cut very carefully.. smooth and accurate.. So here's what i did instead:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=7&i=2165&t=2165

This variator hack does not involve the weights .. All it does is allow the two halfs of the front pulley to come together farther than a stock one will. The result is the belt rides higher and the gearing is higher.

No modification to the rear wheel variator is needed.. There is enough free play for that rear part to open more than it normally does.

The nice part of this 'hack' is the addition if a thin washer can return the variator to stock condition.

Disregard my statements in that thread about the effects of this modification.. I had already changed several things on the bike and was not sure exactly what effects the variator was responsible for. It was resopnsible for none of them.

I have run with this mod for about 6 months and i dont even notice it, except that top speed on level ground is commonly around 33 MPH.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account