How to ID Maxi cylinder head

I'd like to replace the cylinder head on a 1 speed Maxi. I took it apart today and only found the number 11 and Puch mark. Is that # enough to ID the part that I need or should I look somewhere else?

Thanks.

Re: How to ID Maxi cylinder head

Well, I think that this number is enough, plus check the attachment above.

There is brand new one on E-bay for Puch Maxi...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4504138306&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Very good seller! Bought three items from him...

Be sure to let me know if the link, or the attachment don't work.

Ilya

Hey,

Thanks for the 'heads'-up (get it!)!

Timmy Southpark /

thats a good cylinder head, #11 means it came of a high torque cylinder. i have a #11 and #22 top end, but havent tryed them out yet.

Well, bought that head from Akron moped and it's the wrong one. It was hard to tell from the picture on eBay... It appears that I need the high-torque head as shown here:

http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/puchpistoncylinder.html

Anyone know where to get one of these?

just out of curiosity, what's "wrong" with the one you bought? Do the bolt holes not line up or something?

Heads are pretty simple.. no moving parts and .. well.. if it bolts on and the compression ratio is close, it should work.

WEll. Now I see where they use the same (#5) head gasket so the holes must line up... same stud nuts. But I guess the castings could be different and different length studs would be needed.

Richard Wisniewski /

their are 4 diffrent heads made by PUch maxis i knoe cause i got a 1,3&4 you need to look around the base where it bolts to the cylinder their is a casting of a number. i run a one cylinder and 3 head and i do a solid 65 km/ hr

rich

"thats a good cylinder head, #11 means it came of a high torque cylinder. i have a #11 and #22 top end, but havent tryed them out yet."

Hey James!

Just what is it that makes these 'high torque' cylinders?

They are all 50cc, eh?

Timmy Southpark /

They are iron instead of alum. or atleast iron sleeved. The #22's piston i have has a piston that has a notch on the exhaust port, kinda like porting cause the piston hits the exhaust port faster. Also, I'm sure the porting is a bit different. The one weird thing about my #22 cylinder is that it measures 40mm instead of 38mm. Others that have the same setup as mine say theres are the stock 38mm, so i think my is bored.

Now I'm really confused...

The head that I'd like to replace looks like the bottom pictures at:

http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/puchpistoncylinder.html

I see the following markings on the head itself (looking at the surface that meets the cylinder with the Puch logo on top):

-Puch logo (near the top)

-'B' on the right-side fins

-on the bottom fins: An arrow pointing to a 'B' with a 'l' on the left-side of the arrow (is that the '1' mentioned above?)

Is this enough to ID the head?

----------

That head that I bought looks like the top pictures. They are a different shape (the fins are different heights) and the diameter of the 'cupped' area around the spark plug hole is clearly smaller. It actual matches a head from an old parts Maxi that I have.

Oh, and the cylinder is a #11

See Ya Moped Army /

You need a hi-torque head to match that #11 hi-torque cylinder.

I have read here that ALL Puch heads have numbers 1-5 or 11, 22, 33. I have a head that, like mentioned above, APPEARS to be a high torque head but have repeatedly looked and found NO number on it. However, I too have found the letter "B" on the underside. The manual lists something about an "A" or "B" piston (after mentioning all the others). What's the explanation?

I gave up and sent the head to the Moped Junkyard - they have all Puch-type heads in stock and will guarantee a match.

$25 (could be worse).

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account