PUCH

Timmy Southpark /

I just built my engine up, and cant set the points. Everytime i set them to 16 thousands, and pull the feeler gauge out the gap snaps closed. Any ideas? I have played with timing, and that dont help. It wont open up, like the magnets pull it closed everytime, how can i get alittle "gap slop?"

Re: PUCH

Steve Murphy /

This really shouldn't happen; the points should follow the surface of the cam journal, and if everything is in place properly, this should hold them open unless the surface of the part on the points that follows the cam is worn out.

Jason Luther /

or if you have them "closed' all of the way. you cant just jam a feeler gauge in there, you have to move the adjustable side of the points to make the gap. -jason

Timmy Southpark /

i know, but it doesnt matter where i move the it stays tight no matter what! The points were opening and closing when i loosed them up, and now i cant get them back. I have a manual, i'll check it out, but any more advice is greatly apperciaited. This is all frustating cause i've been waiting to ride this bike for every, and when i finally get it ready, i cant set the points. thanks, and keep the advice coming. thanks!

put the flywheel at the fire position, adjust the points so that they are open and tighten them down a little, then adjust for the correct gap.

If they won't open at all you are not adjusting them coorectly, or the cam is worn out, more likely you are not doing it correctly.

Timmy Southpark /

My bike does have a cam, unless thats part of the fly wheel. Remember its a 2 stroke. I was able to fix it and Ray was quite right, it was that i was adjusting it right. thanks everyone

Timmy Southpark /

sorry, i said it all wrong, my bike doesnt have a cam, and i was adjusting it wrong. i messed up everything i meant to say in the previous post.

the cam is not a cam shaft, it is the lobe on the crankshaft that makes the points open and close, glad to see you got it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account