Moped restoration II

Jamie Robinson /

I would like to revise my previous question. I guess it doesn't matter where I start, but I will probobly pull the engine first. What I really want to know is, what not to do. If you have restored a moped and have any sugestions on the restoration process, this information would be invaluable. I want to learn from your mistakes. Thanks!

Re: Moped restoration II

Just go over everything. Check stuff out. Make sure it works like it should. Get it running, ride it until something breaks, go from there until all the bugs are worked out. I have restored the Blue Bullet in my profile. I'm working on the Golden Bullet now.

Steve Murphy /

I agree with Brock. Get the bike running and ride it (hard) for a while to get the bugs worked out before you tear it down.

It's much easier to troubleshoot things while the bike is intact. Then, after you tear it down and do all the cosmetics, it should fire right up after you reassemble it.

Jamie Robinson /

Excellent point, would hate to have the thing all put together, looking all pretty, then have a problem in the gearbox or whatever and have to start tearing in to it. Thanks for the input.

Jamie

Jason Luther /

once the engine is running. make sure the wheels spin free, and the brakes are working properly. its always a good idea to regrease the bearing in the wheels. the cosmetics should be the last thing. make sure you have a spacious semi-clean environment before you even start. you dont want to have the ped half torn apart and then realize you need more room.-jason

i will totally second or third the thought of riding it till it breaks, i have to many friends with sweet bikes that may not idle very well or sound allright, but they stil run and everything, its just the owner doesnt want to take them on the road till they get every bug ironed out, just keep a small set of tools with you when your riding, i do at all times,

brakes and wheel bearings are a great thing to begin with, you should be able to get a lot more life out of your break pads with some cleaning and cross hatching with a hacksaw on the pads, flush out the gear box with new oil, if you take any small things apart put them in plastic bags and label them with masking tape till you put it back on the bike, try and do everything in one sitting, don't take apart the carb, and then put it back the next day, and get a manual, or at least find access to one on the internet, much can be learned, not only from the manual of the bike your working on but from other bikes manuals

Steve Murphy /

Have fun! And try to post some pics of the project, people like to see that stuff.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account