Honda Hobbit

I need to know the point and spark plug gaps or settings for a 1978 Honda Hobbit PA50 II moped, if any one can help me out or knows the answer I would really appriciate it.

Point & spark plug gaps for a Honda Hobbit

I need to know the point and spark plug gaps or settings for a 1978 Honda Hobbit PA50 II moped, if any one can help me out or knows the answer I would really appriciate it.

Re: Point & spark plug gaps for a Honda Hobbit

I have the same bike.

According to my manual the spark plug gap is supposed to be .024-.028"

The points gap is supposed to be .012-.016"

The timing is set by the adjustment of the point gap, but if the points come open more than .016" then they are worn out and need to be replaced.

Mike

Can you not take an old fashioned timing light, using a battery, and check the timing using the crankcase mark and the motor casing reference mark? Seems to work for me.

Timing lights do work but the results are redundant.. you may as well just stick a feeler gauge into the points and set the gap.

You can turn the flywheel and a timing light will show you when the points open but then you have to stick your screw driver in there and move the points, tighten them and check again. For me, it's just simpler to set the gap. Double checking with a timing light will reveal that you set the gap correctly.

Bottom line is that if the points are worn too far you cannot adjust the timing to it's proper setting. The plate on which they are mounted is bolted solidly to the engine block. There's no way to make up for worn points.

I normally use a volt-ohm meter.

Back up the engine to ensure that the points are closed, the meter should show continuity thre the points. Rotate the engine forward until the meter shows a loss of continuity. This point is then checked against the timing mark. Open or close the points to get the correct timing. If you cannot open the points far enough to get the timing correct, then the rubbing block on the points is worn out and the points need to be replaced.

My 1985 PA50 Camino ran for about 15 mins and stops. I've just replaced plug, cap and air filter. It's got a good spark and the plugs wet but no action. I have cleaned the carb and it did run perfectly for 15 mins and now nothing at all. I have a new condenser on the way just in case but is there anything else?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account