broken exhaust bolt?

Troy Brown /

I put the nut on to tight, and the bolt snaped. whats the best way to remove it?

Re: broken exhaust bolt?

drill and tap

See Ya Moped Army /

If any of the bolt is still sticking out, you may be able to get a needle nose vise grip on it. If not, an EZ-Out is the way to go.

Get a small metal bit and drill right down the center of the screw aways (1/4 in). Then get a screw removal bit…looks like a dull, twisted bit with a tiny square tip. Screw that into the hole you drilled (I think the bit should be turning counterclockwise) and as it goes in the screw comes out. A must have set of bits for any mechanic. There you have it.This is what Mysterious means by "drill and tap"

NO DUDE, You dont have to go through all the troubele

take a flat head scew driver, and take a hammer, bang the screw driver tip into the broken screw, make a pretty deep indent on the screw, and twist counter clockwise, and it should unscrew pretty easily,BELIVE ME TBRD, SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME....i thjought i was screwed, all i was trying to do was get the muffler tighter so it wont be as loud, but i learned a little more in thr proccess.... please get back to me if this process works,sintce there is no more force on the screw, the piece of the screw thats stuck should move pretty easily.

Troy Brown /

Zach, I will try your route first , and use my dremel to cut a slot for a screwdriver.i will let you guys know if it works.if not off to the hareware store.

See Ya Moped Army /

<since there is no more force on the screw, the piece of the screw thats stuck should move pretty easily>

Not necessarily. The remaining bolt may be rusted in place. That is a common reason why exhaust bolts snap off.

he said he was tightning it, so there was probabvly free movement in there.

See Ya Moped Army /

my bad. You are correct. It should back right out.

did it work?

I have had worse troubles then that. like having a stud break. I removed all the parts off the bike that were flammable and heated it up with an oxyacetylene torch (spelled wrong). then just twisted it right out with a pair of vice grips.

Troy Brown /

i tried a screw extracter today, no luck. i will try to put some heat to it and see if that helps

are you sure you tapped it deep enough? mine just came out easily, try some oil or w-d40, should work, did it budge at all? any pics?

it does not work for all aplications. I have broken off screw outs in the screw if it's really in there. there are many reasons why it may not be as easy as you say zach. you break off a tap in the screw and then we'll see whats hard to get out. lol

yea, but as he described it exhaust bolt, and thats exactly what i broke,im just saying this cause i had first on handling in this type of situation, im just trying to ask if he had the bevvle in far enough, should work, theres not much pressure on the screw and with a flat head wich he should be using it should unscrew likea piece of cake, unless sheres alot of ust or the screw was not meant to fit the hole.

Troy Brown /

no pic, and I was using wd40

so did it just strip the gap you put in the screw? maybe you should get a little more deeper, it saved me money and i didnt have to buy the kit.

Troy Brown /

the extractor was 3$ and started to strip. i will get a better screw extractor, and see if that will work

make sure the pilot hole is deep enough for the screw extractor, and make sure your spinning the extractor in the right direction on the way in (I beleive counter clockwise).

Troy Brown /

check

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account