columbia motor problm

James Desantis /

HELP!!! I have a 1979 Columbia and I took the head off to do some fixin' and a whole bunch of smelly, water looking stuff came out from a chamber the surrounds the cylinder. I asked my dad what it was and he said that it was some type of anti-freeze. Please, if anyone knows anything aboout this, please tell me. Thanks

Re: columbia motor problm

See Ya Moped Army /

The Odyssey is the only watercooled moped that I'm aware of. The Columbia definitely was not a watercooled moped. If liquid came out when you took off the head, that bike was either sitting out in the rain or was in a flood.

or in some insane way it has a watercooling kit on it, or maybe even someone thought to winterize it with anti freeze.

Dave Peterson /

I also have a Columbia moped and when I bought a spare motor and took it apart, the same thing happened. Liquid came out of the head area, my only thought was that it must have a water jacket for cooling. That would explain the O-rings around the head.

Try Bob at Bobsmarinesale@aol.com He bought out the Columbia moped parts and may know more.

Steve Murphy /

AFIK, they came with Sachs or Solo engines, and neither is water-cooled. But, neither is waterproof, either...

James Desantis /

Well one the cylinder head there is a plug that screws out and goes through a short pipe that enters the chamber. There was also some white gunk gooie stuff at the bottom of the chamber. The stuff that came out of the chamber tasted like some type of antifreeze (acording to my dad)

I'm guseeing that can't be good...

Dave Peterson /

The Columbia I own has a Solo motor and I still beleive that it has a water jacket.I will look into more. Skipjaz

Steve Murphy /

Does the head on your motor come straight out the front (horizonatally) or is it canted upward at an angle?

Dave Peterson /

It is canted up at an angle. Skipjaz

Steve Murphy /

That should be the Solo engine. I'm not very familiar with them, but AFIK they're all air cooled...

This chamber around the cylinder... I'm assuming you have the cylinder off the bike; if you look at the base of the cylinder, does this chamber open (to connect to the engine's lower end) on (or around) the left and right sides? If so, see if they open into ports on either side of the cylinder bore (where the piston lives). If that's the case, these are the transfer ports and there shouldn't be any water or antifreeze in them. If it's not the case, I have no idea what's going on.

If the engine's lower end got water into it and you cranked the engine over, it probably would pump water into these ports and into the bore. If the engine sat with water in it for any length of time, it's probably beyond repair.

Dave Peterson /

Taylor email Bob at Bobsmarinesale and found out that the Columbia Solo motor does indeed have a water jacket around the cylinder. Bob bought out the Columbia moped manufacturing facility and has a good knowledge of these mopeds. Skipjaz

Steve Murphy /

No kidding! Learn something new every day.

Jason Luther /

whats a water jacket? just a static sleave of water around the cylinder? jason

Dave Peterson /

Yes that is what it is. Bob told us to use a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. Make sure the antifreeze is suitable for alumunum. Skipjaz

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account