Cimatti start problems

Justin Brownell /

My cimatti city bike, has trouble starting up after ive been running it. I was reading how this could be the coil. is there anyway to check to make sure it is the coil? I don't really have the money to spend on parts that might not help. Also is there any way to get to the coil with out having a flywheel puller? probably not, just wanted to try.hehe thank you

Justin

Re: Cimatti start problems

Justin Brownell /

also are all coils the same say if I was to get a coil from a suzuki would it fit on my cimatti?

thanks

Justin

Justin Brownell /

bump

Justin Brownell /

anyone?

I'm guessing you have a Minarelli V1 on that thing. I am not a professional, but in my experience with 50cc Italian 2-stroke engines, coils are either the same or close enough to be interchangeable. Bolts may not quite line up, but you plug will still fire. You don't need to pull the flywheel. Look for the little black box your plug wire is connected to. Swap it out, they'll be easy to find, and fairly inexpensive. If money is a problem check ebay, dunno. Here's a link to the V1 manual. Study it.

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=23

Justin Brownell /

thanks a lot man. im hoping I won't have to buy a new coil the bike just starts up randomly sometimes it will fire somtimes it wont. and when it does its first kick. We checked the gear box oil the other day and noticed that it had hardly any oil in it and it was gross looking. I am hoping that is the problem. and that after I replace that it will start all the time. but I really don't know what does what on these machines, I just end up taking somthing off putting it back on and it works haha.

thanks again for all your help

Justin

Jason Luther /

coils usually either work, or they dont. its probably a fuel issue. when you try to restart it do you have the choke off? jason

Justin Brownell /

no I have the choke on. and it wont start

so I try it with the choke off... and still nothing.

Also my gear box is pretty low on oil and with what oil it has that oil looks gross. so I plan on changing that out. could that be a problem. My carb in gerneral seems to be having problems as well. always seems to need cleaning. (on a every other day basis). Im looking into a new tank. and a new carb. Im not sure whats going on with this biike. I can't seem to pin point anything.

Sounds like you've got a dirty tank for one... I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who will give you all sorts of advice on how to do this. Simply put, acid and some nuts to get out the rust, and some acetone to remove varnish. Or save time and buy a new tank if it is replaceable. Your carb issues should diminish after that. An in-line fuel filter is a good idea too if it won't restrict fuel flow. Clean out that gooey gearbox oil and replace it (the oil) too, otherwise you'll have future problems.

Justin Brownell /

new tank is on the way. I have a fuel filter but it is huge a friend told me that it is probably a car fuel filter. would this hurt at all or should I get a smaller. they way I see it larger filter more being filtered but that is probably a bad out look haha

thanks again for all of your help.

Justin

new taknk, good. Filter should be fine, just make sure it won't restrict fuel flow. Use your best judgement. Think physics, gravity... etc. Once the new tank is installed, go through that carb one more time making sure it is totally clear. Hope it fires right up.

Justin Brownell /

thanks for the help. one more question. It seems to not want to start right after i've ridden it I have read that coils do this when they are going bad. but Jason I think it was said that they either do or they don't. So could there be anything else? the only thing that I can think is the gear box oil is low.

thanks alot

Justin

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account