Moped Won't Start

Sandra Sikonia /

I recently bought a 1977 Cimatti City Bike that was not working when I bought it. This is my fist moped and I have been reading up. Frist, I cleaned the gas tank with Kreem and I bought a new fuel valve, new spark plug, fuel filter and checked the fuel line. It started after that and ran, but really crappy and slow. So, I read some more and cleaned the carb, checked the exhaust, checked to see there was spark and that it was getting fuel and checked the compression, which is about 110. Now it won't even start. There is a lot of black fuel or something comming out of the exhuast and getting on the spark plug. I have read Fred's Guide and it was helpful and I have searched on this forum but I am out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Re: Moped Won't Start

Jason Luther /

try getting a new spark plug. i bet itll start right up. even if the old one sparks, it may not be a good enough spark.-jason

are you mixing at a 50:1 gas oil ratio?

Sandra Sikonia /

I have gotten a two new spark plugs and it doesn't help.

I was mixing 40:1. I got this partial manual (it is missing a lot of pages) and that is what it said. Is that incorrect?

clean the carb again, and see if the float is stuck or if the needle valve is adjusted correctly it sounds like you are running to rich, the black stuff coming out of the exhaust is most likely excess fuel mixed with carbon from the exhaust.

did the "There is a lot of black fuel or something comming out of the exhuast " come out of the exhuast before you cleaned the carb. since you had it running before cleaning the carb that is where i would start

Sandra Sikonia /

I unfortunatly don't know when the black fuel stuff got there becuse I was not thinking to look further than the fuel valve, line and tank, I was just pumped it was running. Once I cleaned the carb, assuming that would make it work better, and changed the spark plug is when I noticed it. That's when I went on to take off the exhaust pipe. Thanks for all the quick replies.

Justin Brownell /

I also own a 77 city bike, that is having the same problem. if I figure out what it is, ill let you know.

Justin

Steve Murphy /

The black oily stuff is unburnt fuel, and it's normal to see this when you're trying to start a bike and it won't fire.

It sounds like you've got decent compression, and you're getting fuel and checked the airflow on the intake and exhaust sides and everything looks OK. That get's us to the electrical gremlins, which can drive you nuts if you let them.

I'd start by checking and cleaning the points contacts (they can look good and still be "dirty") with a small, fine toothed file, then inspect all of the wiring and switches, make sure all the connections are clean and sound and that the ignition run switch is working properly (the round, chrome CEV switches in particular like to short to ground if the top case isn't perfectly aligned). It's possible that your spark is weak or erratic, which will certainly cause the problems you're having.

Good luck!

Jason Luther /

are you sure its the correct plug? i never got a new (to me) moped with the correct plug. im 0 and 3 :(

Sandra Sikonia /

I wanted to say thanks for all the help. I am not sure what it was but I recleaned the carb, adjusted the throttle cable and now it is running.

Jason Luther /

cool beans

Steve Murphy /

Cool beans indeed.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account