Rebuilding A35

Hello, fellow Mopagen's

Me and my little brother just got a 1999 tomos targa LX a35 motor. Runs great but the transmission is gone with 978 miles on it. Whom ever had it before us I guess was driving and the drain plug came out and let all the transmission fluid out. So... I am wondering what level of skill does this take to replace the clutches and anything else in there, any special tools required? I know I need to get a manual!

So first do I take it apart and then insp what? Am I looking for? I see alot of people have had problems with the transmission on a35? I am asking for your help please. If someone gets time to write a step by step process me and my brother would be thankful.

Thanks,

Ed&Willie

Re: Rebuilding A35

Don Pflueger /

go to http://www.mopedriders.org and look in the moped repair area. there are tomos service manuals and parts breakdowns listed there. get any parts you need from ike at http://www.ikesbikes.com

Hello, donp

Thank you for that great link!!

I have torn it down today and found the following, a little bit of white cream: What is water or dew right from not having a drain plug in it? I found the a needle bearing locked up in the clutch drum inwitch is not good I think, but I am asking what you think "Members"

I have a couple pictures of the damage on the crank and other things please look at them and tell me what you think!

Thanks, again donp

Ed&Willie

1099951926_crankshaft.jpg

1st-2nd-gears.JPG

1099952227_1st2ndgears.jpg

clutchpack

1099952362_clutchpack.jpg

clutchshoes

1099952561_clutchshoes.jpg

Don Pflueger /

it looks burned and scored.

Don Pflueger /

soak it with penetrating oil and see if you can get them to spin freely and smooth.

I want to thank you for replying to our posts. I will start soaking it tomorrow. This is my first moped repair. I did rebuild a zundapp 250S 2-cycle m/c motor that was easy and the moped motors are something like the zundapp(spilt-case) but they have a different clutch set up. Ok now my other questions is and are does the 1st&2nd gears on the transfer shaft/axle have allot of play on the tall gear only? This 1999 targa LX has been sitting since '01 only reason is they told the owner before us is because he had a price of $300.00 to fix it. How would you go about cleaning the gear box "No brake cleaner?" "Brand of Product?" I want to clean all the old transmission oil out of the gear box without hurting the seals and bearings and when I clean them I want to run a Lucas transmission oil, if you have heard of that I am sure? Would this be ok?

Cheers,

Ed&Willie

Don Pflueger /

go to big lots (if you have one near you)and buy a parts washer. or just wash the parts in hot soapy water and make sure to dry them thoroughly then soak them in oil. i dont know how much play should be in the gears. in my opinion, more than .002"-.004" is too much.

Well it looked like it cleaned up nice on the shaft but I need to press the bushing out and replace the needle bearing. Doesn't look like they hurt anything. So I will need to order them to parts and reassemble it asap and get it back on the frame and move on. Check the picture looks very nice compared to what it did look like I cleaned it up with 2000 grit paper and transmission fluid.

Thanks, again Very Much

Ed&Willie

1100068519_cleanedup1.jpg

Don Pflueger /

i dont see any score marks so as long as the bearing fits snug, it should be ok.

I couldn't believe it cleaned up that nice, I think the bushing material was the only thing on the crank since brass is softer then harded steel. Im going to the moped shop today too see if they have them to parts wish me luck! It might be back together today.

Thanks,

Ed&Willie

Don Pflueger /

unless they are a tomos dealer with a good parts supply, www.ikesbikes.com is the best bet.

Yes they are a tomos dealer, Its hagerstown moped & hobbie shop. I live right down the street from it. They have to order them witch sucks but I'll have them on monday I hope. I did email a moped dealer in OC,Md. I am sure you know what one I'm talking about, S/H $9.30 just for S/H OMFG! These parts fit in my pocket! I live in md and its S/H$9.30 to me thats freakin nuts WOW!

(223-470 --- 035-554) The two parts I need.

I want to thank very much donp for helping me sir. We are grateful of that sir. Let hope they come in on monday morning!

Cheers,

Ed&Willie

Don Pflueger /

no need to thank me.

Well donp I found another bushing that will need to be replaced, I got it out of 1st gear, cleaned up the shaft and looks great now just like the crank. I pressed out the brass bushing and the one way roller/needle bearing in the clutch hub, very easy I must say.

Cheers,

Ed

Don Pflueger /

keep in mind that one way bearing has to be put in in the right direction or the kuck start will not work.

This is true thanks for pointing that out, it came out numbers facing the bushing so that would make it turn clockwise. So they wanted $300.00 to fix it at a local shop and we paid $100.00 for it. Ike hasn't gotten back to me I wrote a email problemly friday or monday since tomorrow is a holiday. Not a bad price for 1999 targa lx, needs like a rear turn single lenses and some other things.

So what ever happened...did everything you did work out? I'm about to dig into my tranny and want to know more about how this worked out. My 00' targa is alittle jerky and I want to see what kind of condition my clutch is in. I'm about to put an airsal on it and I want to make sure everythings okay in there...so any advice on what to be looking out for would be helpful.

Well I have everything back together but it seems to been over heated and the ignition side blowen seal. So it runs never bad the transmission works good I would say. Plus when we got the ped the oil mixer fitting was loose and had the motor covered in 2-cycle oil so I looked up in the head with a flash light and found more bad news! "donp" I read many posts on the site plus alot of other sites too. Anyways it has bad markings and looks like the sob leaned out big time plus when I had it running the head was smoking and leaking I think but ticking noise not loud. So it looks like I will be talking to ike in a little bit. When money comes available.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account