Hone NOS top end before use?

I just got a NOS top end for my motobecane, its never been used. It has a brand new chrome or whatever lining, and I also got a new piston with new rings. Do I have to hone this out before I use it or not? Also, should I break it in with a thicker oil mixture?

Re: Hone NOS top end before use?

Timmy Southpark /

I dont know about the honing it, i dont think that is necessary. I think you should use the regular oil but maybe mix your fuel oil mixture alittle higher. it may use plugs alittle quicker but do it just to make sure your new stuff it broken in right and not overheated. Just my 2 cents, but get a second opionion.

Don Pflueger /

only if there are no cross hatch marks.

Edward Edwards /

NEVER hone a chrome cylinder. Use a good quality 2 cycle oil for the next 200 miles, vary the speed from slow to midrange (10 to 20mph). From what I have read on a Motobecane manual they say to use a 32:1 oil mix, that was 25 years ago and oil today is much better, so I would use it today just for the break-in. That's 4oz to the gallon, after 200 miles i'd go to 40:1.

Don Pflueger /

ive always done it and never had a problem. i learned it while wrenching in the bike shop setting up race bikes. your not removing material, just scuffing it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account