FINALLY DID ITBUT NOW FOR THE HARD PART :-(

i finaly got the piston out... the only damage was 2 scrapes on either side of the cylinder... they arnt that deep but there not just a bemish.....wil these scrapes in teh cylinder effect wetherthe motor works?? the poston stil moves freely but do i either have to bore or buy a new cylinder?

Re: FINALLY DID ITBUT NOW FOR THE HARD PART :-(

damn that sux, try running your fingernail or the edge of a penny across the scrape. If your nail or the penny catches or u can feel it at all then it will need to be fixed. Maybe you could get away with just honing it a bit, but that would take special tools. I dont know where you could get a cylider hone that small but I'm sure if you asked a local motorcycle shop they would know. And I guess in the worst case you could get an oversized ring, and send the cylinder to get bored over a bit. Not such a big deal dont give up hope. jasonf

Timmy Southpark /

you can get a hone easily. Buy a brake cylinder hone for a car, and that works, there like $12 at sears. Yeah, if your bike runs, it probally wont run well. You'll probally have to much compression lose, but you can try it. Also, i have a spare fa50 cylinder, its free but you have to cover shipping cost.

ill take it james!!!! do you accept paypal? how much should i give you for shpping to 32934?

Don Pflueger /

AUTOMOTIVE BRAKE CYLINDER HONES WORK GREAT.

what exactly is honing and what does this device look like?

Timmy Southpark /

what its does is it smoothes out the bore, gets rid of some minor bleameshs, etc.... it has like 3 sharping stones on a spring loaded end, that you compress it to fit in the cylinder then you use like a drill (and oil) and it rotates around. its hard to describe... i will try to find a pic.

Timmy Southpark /

i LIGHTLY sanded and made the scrapes smooth... everything moves smoothly now..... but will it loos to much compression? it just a scratch

Timmy Southpark /

it could, i dont know if i would sand on a cylinder, they really need to be perfect. you could try it, but i dont know if it will run or when it runs if it has the same amount of power.

Don Pflueger /

chances are that the spot where you sanded it is no longer round. therefore there will be a gap between the outer edge of the ring and the cylinder wall and compression will be lost.

Timmy Southpark /

yeah, never sand on a cylinder. the hone will smooth it out all equally, keeping it round.

Don Pflueger /

no not really. a hone will follow an ellipse, which is what you'll end up with after sanding the scratch. keep in mind that a hone is spring loaded. the only way to make it round again is with a bore.

Well, this is how the new guys learn from the old guys! Been there and done that!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account