1980 indian, ran fine, then no spark

Ben Elsewhere /

I've got a problem with my 1980 Indian 4-stroke.

I had replaced the carb with a bigger one, got it adjusted, no problems there.

I took it for a cruise, probably 8 miles or so, and at about 7.5 miles, 1/2 mile from home, it died. Nothing, no spark, fuel flowing fine, just no spark.

What should I suspect first? How should I begin troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!!

--Ben

1980 indian, ran fine, then no spark

I'd start with Fred's Guide

Re: 1980 indian, ran fine, then no spark

You cant really use freds guide because it is a 4-stroke , freds mainly deals with two strokes.

I would have to think you have to trouble shoot it like a car.

Again make sure you have spark, and a good sparkplug. then check that it is getting fuel.

I just bought one of these indian 4 strokes too just this past sat. So whatever you learn please pass it on. I know ill need it some day.

Yeah spark...I smashed my petal on me tomos and as soon as I did that bike started running funny. I couldn't find the relation but I replaced the plug wire and all was well. Go figure. Is you wire riding on the engine and getting to hot?

Ben Elsewhere /

Good call on the plug wire, I'll check it, and probably replace it and the coil once I can track one down. Thanks for your input!

Ben Elsewhere /

True about Freds.

I don't have a spark. That's the problem, the plug is good, I'm 99% sure on that. Fuel is also good. I think I'll just have to find the wiring diagram somewhere and check the whole system...

Thanks a lot for your response.

--Ben

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx /

check your wire harness on the right side of your bike. they are all quick connect connections and sometimes come loose. you may want to check your plug boot, plug wire and condensor

jay

Ben Elsewhere /

Excellent, I will check those out! Thanks a lot.

Fred's Guide

_You cant really use freds guide because it is a 4-stroke , freds mainly deals with two strokes._

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's true Fred's Guide deals mainly with 2-Strokes, but 4-Strokes still need fuel, air, spark and compression to run.

Re: Fred's Guide

Timmy Southpark /

but the timing is alittle different, along with some electircal.

i have an indian an its impossible to find pars on it if you could lemme know where u find ur parts...thnx

Ben Elsewhere /

I don't really find parts that's the problem, if i do find a good source, I'll let you know though.

Allen Murphy /

Not really--with only one cylinder, the plug can fire on each stroke and the engine will still run right.

It will fire BTDC on the compression stroke, firing the air/fuel mixture, and on the next revolution, it'll fire on the exhaust stroke which has no effect on the engine's performance.

That's how these POS V-6 engines run with a 3 coil pack--they fire 2 plugs at a time--one on a compression stroke, and one on an exhaust stroke, and alternate between two cylinders all the time.

Al Murphy

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account